How do I open a MS Works document..

hansov

Got a bit of a wee problem this fine Monday morning. Was sent a document over the weekend which was saved as a MS Works document "hansov.wps". Opened it with no bother at home on my PC which has Microsoft Works. Rather than waste my free Sunday looking over somebody else's work I decided to wait until this morning to look at it in the office. But I don't have MS works on this machine and when I open it in Word it comes out gobble-de-gook. Anybody an idea of what I should do!

What version of Works and what version of Word, for which OS?

Word should be able to open Works file ok but you may need to choose the correct Works version in the Open Files of Type combo.

If you for "Microsoft Works to Word" you will find some converters for different versions.

If all else fails, go back to the original Works app on the original PC/Mac and save as Rich Text Format.

Hi have tried to use the microsoft download to open my works document on my word only pc. It downloads, I click install and then nothing? Where does it go? The instructions say to double click on the downloaded file on my hard drive? Any ideas what I do thanks?

When you click on the Download button on the MS website you should be able to choose Save to Disk and then choose a location on your hard drive in which you want to save the download. Then you can navigate to there using Windows Explorer and run the program. Does this not work for you?

Thanks Clubman, will try that again on the home pc as for some reason the work one crashes when I try the download.

Thanks folks, discovered my problem was Word 2003 doesn't work with the download and kept crashing so I saved the original on the old pc to the Rich Text Format and it opened beautifully Phew