How do I make/get a small dividing fence?

M

melodytoon

Hi, first post here so please be gentle if this seems daft to you. :)

I've got a small garden that is half of a larger one, divided between myself & my downstairs neighbour. The garden is about 30ft long. There is a line of bricks one brick deep running down the garden to divide the two halves vertically. I would like to put up fencing of no more than 3ft high between the two halves, so that I can make use of what little space there is without anything on my side potentially encroaching on my neighbour's side. I don't want to just put a row of pot plants along the divide, as (a) that's far too many pots to be looking at, & (b) the divide then depends on the plants growing to the right height & staying in good condition.

I've looked at various sites for fencing, but they all seem to be huge things &, even if I could afford them, I don't want to put up something that's so divisive - I just want to divide the garden, not put my neighbour & I on "never speaking to her again" terms :D, especially as we get on. It's such a small space that I don't need it to look like it's protecting a huge estate, so I'm thinking of making my own fence rather than spending a bomb buying one & getting it put up. I've got two old wooden ladders & I was thinking of using the long lengths as the back of the fence, drilling holes into the brick divide & screwing them into place. That would give me about 1/3 to 1/2 of the height I'd like. I was then thinking of getting planks of wood that I could screw along the ladder to get the fence to the height I need. Trouble is, I can't find any sources for the wood at roughly the height I need - everywhere seems to have huge wooden panels that will need sawing into pieces. I'm in West London, & I'd need to buy from somewhere that will deliver a small quantity of wood for me to get on with it.

I realise it all sounds rather Heath Robinson, but I do like to recycle where I can & I can't see the point on spending a fortune on something for such a small space. Any ideas either for how to complete this or make an alternative divide cheaply would be appreciated. Perhaps one of you has made their own fence & can give me some tips - it's my first garden, & though it's small I want it to be a nice place to relax in next summer, so I want to crack on with it while I'm in the mood. Thanks. :)

Thanks, Sue. :)

I'd rather not go for a hedge, as (a) it will need maintenance, & I'm too new to gardening (& a fair bit lazy) to do it, & (b) a hedge will take up too much space anyway. The garden's small, so I need to make the most of the space available, rather than make it even narrower than it already is. :)

How about pallets. About 3 foot high. Easily moved into place. Drive stakes down to support them. Can be painted. You can put the better side facing your neighbour if you want.

Back