How do I know if i am entitled to family income supplement?

M

mistygail

How do I know if i am entitled to family income supplement?

just wondering if overtime is used when calculating means for FIS? my husband is working a lot of overtime right now because of christmas but may not have overtime in the new year should we wait to apply or not?
thanks
jean

Ring welfare for a definitive answer, but yes, working too much overtime (and therefore earning more money) can cause you to lose FIS.

Don't know how seasonal overtime is regarded tbh. Your local welfare office will surely be able to help.

Have a look here http://www.welfare.ie/publications/sw22.html#6

'If you are paid weekly or fortnightly, your weekly income is based on the weekly average of your assessable earnings for a four week period.
If you are paid monthly, your average weekly income is based on your weekly average assessable earnings in a set two month period.
If your spouse or partner is self-employed, his or her income over the 12 month period before you lodge your claim is used to work out his or her average weekly income.
However, if it's more appropriate, a Deciding Officer or an Appeals Officer may work out your weekly income on the basis of some other period. For example, they may use your P60 to calculate your average income from employment.'

If the income is distorted because of overtime I would wait until it returns to a normal level as overtime will be taken into account. Once the payment is awarded, overtime is not taken into account - i.e. the payment stays the same for 12 months unless you have another qualified child.

Be warned because there is a backlog of applications because of increased eligibility.

Hope this helps

Back