how do i haggle?

fredg

hi all,
as i may be buying a new car in jan,
just wondering how best to haggle/negotiate a price??
on the test drive i was told "oh we drop €1500 off the rrp",
but im wondering how to really push the boat out as ive
never bought a new car before,should i agree that price,
but say i want more extras?or should i disagree with whatever
he says and leave saying,"im not convinced with the deal i'll
sleep on it and get back to you",in the hope he'll improve deal.
sorry this is so long winded,but i'd be very interested in all views.
thanks.
car im buying Octavia 1.9tdi rrp €27075.

Re: how do i haggle??

go to another Skoda dealer and see the best they'll do.....If the price is similiar try and get an extra six months on the warranty.....We are almost afraid to ask for a good deal in Ireland in case we offend the 'seller'....He/she should have a hard neck...ask away !

First piece of advice,never buy a new car.As soon as you drive out the gate you can knock another E1500 off what you just paid,a 2 or 3 year old car with low mileage is the way to go.

Fred, is that the hatchback or estate?

I have the price list for the estates and the Elegance spec is €27090.

The only car I can find on the Octavia range for 27075 is the Hatchback Elegance spec in the 2.0FSI petrol

I would call around another few dealers but I doubt the discount will change much. Only time I ever bought a new car, I tried to get a cash discount, but they held fast on the price. All the other Alfa dealers were the same. No budging. It was an "On the Road" price. I managed to squeeze a 10CD boot changer out of them and to pay half price towards the alarm.

The Octavia diesels are flying out the doors so dealers are reluctant to give that much discount on them as there will be someone behind you 10min later

First piece of advice,never buy a new car.

I did not read the OP asking people's opinion as to whether he should buy new or second hand..So, first piece of advice, respect people's wishes.. It's his decision if he want to buy new, and there are very good reasons for buying new (as well as there are good reasons for buying second hand).
Coming back to the OP, you could try to organise a phone auction between main dealers... but i would say january is not the good time for this as many people are buying new cars.... April and after may be better for "discounts" if this is what you are after..

tosullivan said:
I would call around another few dealers but I doubt the discount will change much.
I have seen 8% difference between main dealers after negociation as some will not offer discount at all, while others are more eager at getting the business and are willing to negociate.
But I agree with you , it depends on the brand as well...

Bacchus, not sure if these cartels are being investigated between all the dealers and they might have shaken the industry up a bit, but it wasn't like that a year ago when you would find it hard to get even a €50 difference between a garage at one end of the country to another on the same car

agreed, jan is not the best time for haggling alright or coming up to it.

thank you to all who replied.
i'll take all advice on board,and any more is welcome.
fredg.

From my own experience of buying a new car I set a what I thought was a reasonable price for my trade in and worked from there. The dealer offered me €2k less than what I wanted so I got up and headed for door. He called me back and after some teeth gnashing agreed to the price I wanted. Granted I had a very good trade in and I was buying a new car but it goes to show how much room they have to manouvre. This happened in July though and they may not be as anxious to do a deal in January. Hope this helps.

I'm unsure what part of the Country you intend to buy in but my advice would be to do a search of the Skoda dealers in the Country and spend the morning calling a few. Be armed with the same info for the all and see what they can do. First ask what the would do for a straight buy and then ask about a trade in. Make sure you ask in that order though. I've shopped around for a VW golf a few years ago and ended up travelling a 200 miles for a bargain, same car, same warranty. Also, you are not tied to the dealer you buy the car from, should anything have to the car within the warranty period you can get it repaired at any Skoda franchaise in the Country.
There is always room for a haggle in every purchase!

IMHO you should not be shy about telling one dealer what offer you already have from another dealer (but don't mention the name of the other stealership)... explain that you are close to making the deal but are holding out for the best price, explain what offer you already have, be brutally honest about getting a good deal.. explain that you don't want to get into a back and fort situation and would appreciate their best and final offer... you are a genuine sales prospect and want to make the deal ASAP... If a dealer wants your business he has to do more than just match the other offer.. They are trained sales people and won't be fazed by this type of approach.. There really is no other way to get them to move.

You need to meet with people face to face at least once. Then you can enter into this type of negotiation.