How do I export my car?

U

Umbogo

I'm going to buy a car in Ireland and take it to Holland. Is there anything that I need to do to "unregister" the car in Ireland? Does anyone know?

I can't find anyone who can tell me, including government departments.

How will they know that they need to stop sending tax bills, NCT letters etc?

I did it in France.
You reregister the car in the new country.
Cost me in the region of €1000 in France included NCT change of headlights, letter from manufacturer that car conformed to french standards, new french number plates and french car tax, which is a one off payment for the life time fo the car.

When I paid the french car tax (I needed all the other ducks in a row first) they took my VRT cert and gave me a french one.

They were supposed to send the VRT cert to Ireland to notify them of the new registration.

I discovered that never happened when I returned home and reregistered the car in Ireland...luckily I had a photocopy of the VRT cert and they just reissued it to me.

Is there an ex-pat website for the Netherlands?
That is where I got the detail on the "how-to"

My irish insurance company would not insure me for longer than 30 days in france and the french would not insure me until I had a french registration.

I believe that the irish insurance companies are obliged to insure you 3rd party, but are leery of telling you that.

There were LOTS of brits who still had their british registration, which baffled me.

Thanks very much for the clear explanation.

I've worked out exactly how to register in The Netherlands. The Dutch website is very clear. It's the Irish part I couldn't find.

I'll make sure I keep a copy of the Irish documents.

Thanks again.