How do I check how much heating oil is delivered?

J

JoR

For a number of years I have doubts about the quantity of oil I have been getting when I get a fill of home heating oil. I have used a dip stick and it seems I am always 100 to 200 litres less than what is expected. I get a docket which has a print out from the oil tanker which gives the volume of oil I have received. Is there any way this can be incorrect.

Re: Mr

JoR said:
I have used a dip stick and it seems I am always 100 to 200 litres less than what is expected.
What did the delivery person say when you drew their attention to this? Is your dipstick correctly calibrated?

On a slightly related topic, has anyone noticed that since the price of petrol has gone up, the rate at which it's pumped into your car has slowed down?????

Makes you feel that just because you're at the pump the same amount of time that you're still getting the same amount of petrol!!!!

I was not present when the delivery was made. My tank is rectangular with a capacity of 1100 litres. I use a stick marked with eleven sections

JoR said:
For a number of years I have doubts about the quantity of oil I have been getting when I get a fill of home heating oil.
JOR said:
I was not present when the delivery was made.
Have you only had one delivery in several years or have you not been present when any delivery over that period was made in spite of your concerns?

Have you tried multiplying the depth (in cm) as measured by the dipstick by the dimensions of the bottom of the tank and working out what this is in litres as a sanity check? I am assuming that the tank is more or less a regular in shape (i.e. straight sides and bottom) - if not then this approach may not be fully accurate. Do you have a gauge installed on the tank?

try installing a meter that measures the volume in the tank;i think you can get them from oil suppliers-Watchman is one brand name..daithi

I got done once in the past, and really had little recource.
I have an 1100 Lt tank, and what I do now is run it down to under 100Lt and get 1000 refill. This way if its not full , ive been done. Has not happened since.