How do I become Wireless ?

IrishGunner

On Utv Clicksilver Broadband and want to move my PC but dont have a phone connection in the other room
Dont want to run a wire just to awkard

What I want is wireless

But what do I need and where can I get it etc

Thanks

You need a wireless router and a wireless network card. You can get these from most shops that do PC components. On line you can try [broken link removed] (there's an offer of a router plus two cards for €65 on thier home page), http://www.elara.ie/ or [broken link removed].

That looks like a pretty good deal from Marx (I presume that the delivery will be around €10). I was under the impression that a wireless router would cost around €100 minimum. What's the difference between the 3 network card options?

Bear in mind that the Marx Computers offer is "only" 802.11b (11Mbps) and not 802.11a/g (54Mbps). However unless you're doing a lot of gaming or multimedia it may not matter that much. Note that these speed ratings are nominal/theoretical maxima and the actual throughput will be significantly lower in practice due to 802.11 WiFi protocol overhead, interference etc.

What's the difference between the 3 network card options?

The PCMCIA card is for a laptop, the PCI card for a desktop. You can get two 'desktop type' cards, two 'laptop type' cards or one of each.

So how would this compare with the setup I am currently using (Clicksilver equipment-Creative ASDL Router hooked up to laptop using ethernet cable)? I know of someone who is using wireless with eircom and their download speeds are slower than mine (in theory they should be the same).

Dearg Doom said:
The PCMCIA card is for a laptop, the PCI card for a desktop. You can get two 'desktop type' cards, two 'laptop type' cards or one of each.

Cheers.

Do I have to install the card as only a Newbie??

No gaming done only use it for d/l and general stuff

Also in relation to "only" 802.11b (11Mbps) and not 802.11a/g (54Mbps) is this in relation to speeds ??? What kind of things would interfere with it and would it effect my speeds by that much ?

Bought the PC from Marxcomputers so might check them out

802.11b (11Mbps nominally) will be in or around the same (possibly slower) speed as 10Mbps wired ethernet. It will definitely be slower than 100Mbps wired ethernet. 802.11g (54Mbps nominally) should be faster than 10Mbps wired ethernet but slower than 100Mbps wired ethernet. However any of these solutions should not be perceptibely slow (depending on what you're doing) and remember that your broadband connection (usually <= 1Mbps) is still the bottleneck for outside access. If somebody is experiencing perceptible delays with any of these setups then they may have a problem with their LAN (e.g. interference on the wireless LAN) or broadband connection. As ever determining the cause of actual or suspected problems is a process of elimination and involves some detective work using the appropriate tools.

IrishGunner said:
Also in relation to "only" 802.11b (11Mbps) and not 802.11a/g (54Mbps) is this in relation to speeds ???

Yes. Mbps = Mega (Million) bits per second.

What kind of things would interfere with it and would it effect my speeds by that much ?

Anything in the 2.4GHz band (e.g. microwave, wireless TV signal senders, 2.4GHz cordless phones etc.) could interfere with 802.11b/g and slow things down. This article goes into more detail.

Checked marxcomputers, elara & komplett but not sure which is the best to go for ?

Anyone got any recommendations for one that would not decrease my speeds if possible ?

Thanks

I'd be inclined to go for 802.11g rather than 802.11b. I'd recommend the [broken link removed] available from [broken link removed] in Parliament Street, Dublin 2 for about €76. However this does not come with any wireless network cards for desktop/laptop so you'll need to buy these separately if you don't already have wireless gear. On the other hand nay 803.11 gear should do the trick. These are largely commodity items at this stage.

IrishGunner - Did UTV supply you with a USB or ethernet ADSL modem?

If ethernet then you can connect the modem directly to a wireless router. The Linksys WRT54g ClubMan recommends is fine for that.

Otherwise, it's simplest to get a wireless router with an integrated ADSL modem. The equivalent Linksys is the WAG54g, but I would be wary of that due to poor product quality (this is based on personal experience!).

they gave me a zyxel P630 ADSL modem not sure what ethernet adsl is??

The wireless router how does that work what do I need ?
Also other than the WAG54g what other options do I have

thanks

IrishGunner said:
they gave me a zyxel P630 ADSL modem not sure what ethernet adsl is??

Don't worry about getting an integrated ADSL and wireless access point so. Just get a wireless router to add on between your ADSL router and LAN.

The wireless router how does that work what do I need ?

Did you read the topic that I posted above and the articles to which it links? These should explain how things work and what you need.

Also other than the WAG54g what other options do I have

Lots! There are many different 802.11 routers on sale. You would really need to start reading the review sites if you want to start shopping around.

Cheers got to read the reviews and links very helpfull may give ITDirect a call
and start looking for exactly what I need

Thanks again

ClubMan - IrishGunner doesn't have an ADSL router. The Zyxel he mentions is a USB ADSL modem (the one UTV supplied me with too, which is why I asked!).

IrishGunner - I stand by my recommendation that a wireless access point with an integrated wireless router is simplest for your situation. Instead of the Linksys WAG54G consider the NetGear DG834G.

MugsGame said:
ClubMan - IrishGunner doesn't have an ADSL router. The Zyxel he mentions is a USB ADSL modem (the one UTV supplied me with too, which is why I asked!).

Sorry - my mistake. However it's still just as easy to get a wireless router and plug that between the ADSL modem and the LAN. rather than necessarily getting an all in one ADSL modem/wireless router. That's how mine is set up anyway and it works fine (UTV Creative ADSL modem -> D-Link router/switch -> LAN (wired and wireless)).

ClubMan - Unlike the Creative you have the Zyxel only has a USB connection. I've never seen a wireless access point that will take a USB modem directly (though now that I've said this I'm sure Google will find one somewhere!). Even if it did the wireless access point would also have to terminate the PPPoE connection, as the Zyxel is an ATM bridge, not a router.

IrishGunner - ethernet connections are used for wired (not wireless) local networks. Most wireless access points can route from wired ethernet onto wireless, so you can often connect ethernet ADSL modems directly to a wireless access point. But the ADSL modem you have only supports USB, and can't be connected in this way.

I yet again stand by my recommendation to get a new wireless access point with an integrated ADSL modem. There are other options but unless money is very tight this is the simplest solution for you.

that a wireless access point with an integrated wireless router is simplest for your situation. Instead of the Linksys WAG54G consider the NetGear DG834G

Ok this has gone way over my head now questions...questions ...questions
What is a wireless access point?
I can do a google on the NetGear DG834G or check on the ITdirect website?
With the Zyxel can it be done and would I loose speed or is it better to buy a creative?

Thanks