How do forged notes end up inside an ATM?

Alwyn

I was eavesdropping on a conversation at a hotel I was at over the weekend. Some tourists had tried to pay for food with apparantly forged notes.

The manager was alterted and he calmly asked the tourists where they had received the notes; in which they replied that they had got them from the ATM machine down the road!

I was amazed by the conversation and more amazed why the Guards were not called.

It just seemed like it was a regular accurance because nobody seemed overly worried.

I happened to mention to a local shopkeeper to keep on the lookout to which he replied that he had already taken forged notes himself that day!

I found the whole thing bizarre:rolleyes:

Maybe we've started printing money afterall....shuhhh...don't tell the Germans!

Lol that's what I was thinking;) I'm just being very careful how I word it!

The problem seems to be that the forgers have 'ways and means' of getting the cash carrying companies to exchange the dud stuff for old real notes and the duds get loaded into the ATM machines: ingenious when you think about it as the banks dont scan the cash deliveries

The other thing is the instore ATMS. Shop staff load these manually...it's a way of them lodging money without having to go to the bank. I avoid these ATMS because if a shop realises they have taken dodgy notes are they more likely to accept the loss, or try to cut their losses by passing them on...and people are likely to be less suspicious of money from an ATM than passed over the counter.

Back