How difficult is laying lino?

Henny Penny

I want to put lino in my en-suite bathroom which is 12ft by 7ft and seeing as fitting will cost 60 quid I thought I'd give it a go myself ... how easy is it to do? There is already a wooden floor in the room. Should I make a template out of newspaper as one book suggested? Do I need to glue the edges down? Thanks in advance of all the helpful advice.

First you should make sure that your fitter knows the difference between "linoleum" flooring and "PVC" flooring.

Tried fitting it once and its not as easy as it appears. It really depends on how much it cost and if you can replace it cheaply if things go wrong.

The template from newspaper is a good idea and a very sharp stanley knife would be a necessity.

Thanks for the replies. Our floor has dropped a bit since we moved in, so the wooden floors have a bit of a gap under the skirting boards. I think I will give it a go, the shop said they would roll it for me in such a way to make it easy to fit.

Henny Penny said:
Thanks for the replies. Our floor has dropped a bit since we moved in, so the wooden floors have a bit of a gap under the skirting boards. I think I will give it a go, the shop said they would roll it for me in such a way to make it easy to fit.

For the sake of the few bob, pay to have it fitted. If there's a problem at least you have some comeback.