how can two people use the same ppsn no.

g2130

ive just found out today ive been sharing the same no with somebody
i dont even know, since 1992
it was ok with the revenue, but signed on the scratcher today
and they gave me a new pps,
has this ever happened to any one else?

When you say "sharing" and "ok with revenue" does this mean that there were no duplicate returns made under that number for 2 people in all that time?

Last edited:
When you say "sharing" and "ok with revenue" does this mean that there were no duplicate returns made under that number for 2 people in all that time?

apparentally not or im sure the revenue would have been in contact with
me.
the lady in the benefit office was not allowed to discuss it any further with me ( for obvious reason,s im sure)
ill be in touch with the revenue tommorow, ill let you know what happens.

I think a lot of Govt depts, didn't use the PPSN, or RSI number as a unique identifier in the past. They used a combination of DOB, address etc. But there has been a change to use the RSI as a unique number. So its quite common.

A lot of Govt systems like social welfare are linked to other depts now, so if you correct it in one place it should change everywhere. If you think about it lot of systems and records were not linked before the internet, and eGovt etc.

what if you were registered for vat for some period in that time, and you were told by the revenue that your rsi no. became your vat no, would it have not come up then?

Just to put your mind at rest, you could ask SW for a copy of your PRSI record which you are entitled to. You can then compare with your work record to make sure all contributions/claims in your lifetime are recorded correctly and that there are no anomalies. It'll take a few weeks to get, I'd say.

thanks for that welfarite.