How can I check 35% retention being paid?

clearday

Hello,we are doing some work for a builder on an ongoing basis.Is it possible to check if the builder is actually paying this to the revenue?
I went to the revenue office but I could not make it clear to them what I wanted so I am trying here as always.
Cheers.

Hi,

I would have thought that once you keep your RCT 30s every time the builder makes a payment to you then you would be covered even the builder wasnt making the payment every month, but i dont know if this is the case from the revenue's point of view.

Yeah, Jockey is correct, once you have your RCT30, you can prove that the money was withheld from you and it is up to the main contractor to pay it to revenue. It shouldn't really matter to you whether it's paid or not as you would not be liable once you have your RCT30.

If the main contractor does not pay it over to revenue, say for a number of months, can it be claimed back before it is actually paid?

I'm not sure of the answer to that - but RCT30 tax withheld by a main contractor is supposed to be paid over in the month after the payment was made to the sub-contractor, otherwise the main contractor will be in arrears, so it's in his best interest to pay on time.

Maybe someone else will be able to help with that question...

If the contractor gave this back to you he would be nuts as he would then be liable for it. He must deduct the 35% if he has no Payments Card for you, he as no option. If your taxes are upto date just send the forms to the Revenue and they will issue you a refund fairly quickly.

The principal contractor should give you an RCTDC form which sets out the gross payment , tax deducted and net payment. Did the principal apply for a payments card for you ? Ring your tax office and ask for the self employed builders section and explain the position. Revenue will hammer the Principal if he is not deducting tax correctly.

Remember if you are VAT registered you are liable to VAT and Revenue will with hold VAT ( at 13.5% ) from any RCT you look to recoup.

Back