How can I acertain whether my sister has "Power of Attorney" over my mothers affairs?

E

eoin

My sister claims to have POA over my mothers affairs, while I am aware that my mother was brought to see a solicitor in relation to POA I'm not aware that the power was ever acted upon, at the time I was a named party to this power.
I have asked to see the paper work in relation to the POA which is not forth coming.
I have checked the courts and cannot find anything registered. But am told that it doesn't necessarily need to be registered.

How can I ascertain whether she has indeed been granted the POA if she refuses to show paperwork and I cannot find it registered.

Re: Power of Attorney

Is your mother compos mentis?

If yes, it may that your sister has Power of Attorney over her affairs which she is exercising and which does not need to be registered anywhere.

If your mother is non compos mentis, then your sister can only act on foot of an Enduring Power of Attorney. If an EPA was created then members of the family must have been notified and the EPA must be registered before it can be acted upon.

If you have concerns about your sisters actions, you can take further advices from a solicitor.

Are you concerned about your mother's welfare or just annoyed that you're not being told anything? Very often these situations are more about who is doing the most and who is doing the most asking .

mf

Re: Power of Attorney

is there a form available for power of attorney in shops like easons etc or must one go to a solicitor.

Back