How best to get rid of a Horse Muck Heap?

Cashstrapped

Hoping someone can help with this one.

Mr. Cashstrapped decided to buy 3 ponies for kiddies which are being stabled and kept at In-laws grounds. However, we now have quite a large muck heap from cleaning out stables and are unsure as to the best way to clear or get rid of this and then how to control it going forward.

Anyone any suggestions, it would include obviously droppings and shavings from the bedding. Looking for the most environmentally friendly way of get rid and as soon as possible to keep in-laws happy, all suggestions welcome.Thanks!

If you're anywhere near an urban centre, put an ad in the local rag / buyandsell - people will be banging your door down to take it.

Only problem with that is that we have just being dumping both the shavings and the rotted manure in the same heap and I'm sure they wouldn't want to be sifting through it, but thats an idea going forward alright.

Only problem with that is that we have just being dumping both the shavings and the rotted manure in the same heap and I'm sure they wouldn't want to be sifting through it, but thats an idea going forward alright.
It's better with the shavings in it (wood shavings?). These soak up the uric acid which from horses is very strong. It is also an excellent fertilizer (very high in phosphorous). Unmixed horse manure (even when rotted) is still very strong and can burn plants. So if your heap is in layers, it is good! I would start a new heap every few months, as people will be more interested in the older stuff. Cover the heaps you are not using with heavy plastic sheet weighed down with bricks and it will rot quicker and hotter.

my muck heap is spread on the land each year but a friend who is stuck for space always pays a local farmer to take it away.

you could also try putting an ad on freecycle / jumbletown & could get a good response (both free to use) ;)

If you still have it, I can collect it from you. Where are you located? I'm in Co. Cork.

If you still have it, I can collect it from you. Where are you located? I'm in Co. Cork.

Hi Vova, yes there is a nice load of it still there, it is the Carlow area if of any use to you, long spin from Cork though..

Well rotted manure is a fantastic fertiliser, can you offer it to a gardener??
To the best of my knowledge, horse manure is an unsuitable fertiliser, except for certain plants, eg rhubarb.

To the best of my knowledge, horse manure is an unsuitable fertiliser, except for certain plants, eg rhubarb.

Well-rotted horse manure is about the best type of soil conditioner/fertiliser you can get. The caveat is that it must be well-rotted - fresh/unrotted horse manure can have very high levels of nitrogen, which can do far more damage than good. It can also generate very high levels of heat as it rots (indeed the Victorians used to put a layer of soil on top of a pile of fresh manure, and plant veg into that soil in wintertime under glass cloches - effectively providing heated soil for the veg in the depths of winter), which can damage young plants.

If cashstrapped has stored it since October, it should be on its way to rotting nicely (although ideally should be left for another 6 months at least before being used). Well rotted, it will supply all the nutrients and trace elements your plants need, and will enrich the soil greatly as it decomposes by stimulating microbial activity in the soil.

That sounds good.
I'm currently looking for a transport to carry.

I'm wondering why this wasn't something Mr.Cashstrapped considered when deciding to get three horses in the first place? Are there other matters relating to the care and housing of large animals that he didn't consider?
When you say "in-laws grounds", is this a farm, a field, or a garden?

Did you ask other horse owners how they deal with it? Could you ask the person who sold you the horses, what they do with horse manure? Would you have a look at the small ads in the Farmers Journal or maybe put one in yourself?

Your children are very lucky. Growing up with animals, and enjoying them teaches them alot. Plus it keeps them out of mischief if they have to spend their spare time mucking out stables and taking care of their charges.

Hope you get sorted.

Last edited:
Back