Saving approx 2-3K per month

Rough estimate of value of home: 375K
Amount outstanding on your mortgage: 0
What interest rate are you paying? N/A

Other borrowings – car loans/personal loans etc - 20k / 700pm

Do you pay off your full credit card balance each month? Yes
If not, what is the balance on your credit card? N/A

Savings and investments:

Do you have a pension scheme? Yes I have an old defined benefit pension worth 17k per annum when I reach 65 and a DC pension worth 120k currently contributing the max amount within revenue limit and expect this to increase substantially over the next number of years . Wife also has pension value approx. 70K. Both of us are maxing pension contributions

Do you own any investment or other property? No

Ages of children: 7,10

Life insurance: Yes 500K each and both have 3 times salary through work

What specific question do you have or what issues are of concern to you?

We are looking to complete and extensive refurbishment and extension of our current house which we plan on staying in for good we are starting to build our plans at the minute and forecast this will cost us 200k.

We currently have cash savings of c100k and an investment fund with 160k where we add 2k per month.

I had previously planned on using all the cash savings and borrowing money to fund the extension but obviously this is quite expensive and it probably makes more sense to sell some of the investments to fund the project but this makes me feel nervous about the dramatic reduction in our savings.

Any advise of what to do?

You're in a very good financial position with excellent pensions and mortgage free to boot. Well done and at what is quite a young age so impressive !

I would fund the extension with €120K from your investment fund and say €80K from your cash savings. No point in borrowing or taking out a mortage when you have cash earning little to no interest and an investment fund where gains are subject to 41% tax. I'd also clear the car loan with €20K from your investment fund as no point in paying interest at close to 10% when your investment fund is probably returning <3% pa after tax.

Last edited:
Without knowing the details 200k sounds light for "extensive" renovation AND extension. That may well be your budget but may not get what you want.

Back