How about a Christmas Bonus for taxpayers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyways i stand by my statement...if the gove have money to handout, give it to the working man.

Personally I think the idea of a Christmas bonus for social welfare recipients feels like a weird charitable gesture (post the three ghosts Scrooge) in good times and has terrible optics in bad times, as evidenced by threads like this. A Christmas bonus for tax payers makes no sense to me whatsoever, but I'd like to see the Christmas bonus for social welfare recipients just be spread over the year in the usual weekly payments and get rid of this annual debate.

Last edited:
Anyways i stand by my statement...if the gove have money to handout, give it to the working man.

While I'd love a little bonus, the main problem I see with the proposal is it's likely to cost me more than I get! Sure, they could give me €100, but by the time they put the systems in place and pay for the staff to run it, it'll cost me €200 in additional taxes!

Personally I think the idea of a Christmas bonus for social welfare recipients feels like a weird charitable gesture (post the three ghosts Scrooge) in good times but has terrible optics in bad times, as evidenced by threads like this. A Christmas bonus for tax payers makes no sense to me whatsoever, but I'd like to see the Christmas bonus for social welfare recipients just be spread over the year in the usual weekly payments and get rid of this annual debate.
Good post, but the Christmas bonus is now and always has been a political issue.
Even if they did spread it across the year there would be a huge outcry for it to be still given, its the same for children benefit if that was "means tested" , it should be in my view, there'd be such an outrage it would be political suicide, no matter what counter tax rebalancing might occur.

If you look at it another way, part of the SW payment is withheld throughout the year and paid in December as a lump sum. Calling it a bonus makes it sound like an extra payment. Revenue could do the same, collect tax at a higher rate for 11 months and give us a tax free December. Then we'd all think Christmas was great.

While I'd love a little bonus, the main problem I see with the proposal is it's likely to cost me more than I get! Sure, they could give me €100, but by the time they put the systems in place and pay for the staff to run it, it'll cost me €200 in additional taxes!
I think of children's allowance like that; they take €200 a month in taxes and then give it back to me less their administration cost. All I'm really doing is part funding a job in the Department of Social Protection.

I think of children's allowance like that; they take €200 a month in taxes and then give it back to me less their administration costs.
Er, not quite! They take an extra €100 from me and €100 from you and give the entire €200 back to you minus their cut.

I used to think this was a great wheeze when my kids were young enough to get it - not so much now!

Er, not quite! They take an extra €100 from me and €100 from you and give the entire €200 back to you minus their cut.

I used to think this was a great wheeze when my kids were young enough to get it - not so much now!
I think it should be increased by 20% and taxed. That way people on low incomes get more and people on high incomes get less. I'm not a fan of universal payments and I don't think people on high incomes should be getting welfare payments.

Arthur famously turned down the opportunity to decamp to France for fear of being killed in the morning !
And engaged in workplace violence when he didn’t like the terms and conditions that his prospective employer was offering. The song he wrote about it probably breached GDPR as well. Disgraceful behaviour. He was obviously well connected in the Union. ;)

A lesson to employers on the hazards of a mandatory uniform policy and not offering triple time for it being on Christmas morning.
Didn’t excuse the intimidation of a young and vulnerable employee or the destruction of employer issues safety equipment used to alert others to their proximity. Playing football with it was particularly bad.

It was a health and safety drill to verify the robustness of their flotation instruments and other equipment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back