Household/garden shredder or "chipper"

Betsy Og

What I'm thinking of is a household version of the machines they use to grind down the old Christmas trees in January.

I do a fair but of composting but this works better when everything is pre-pulped. Like anyone I also accumulate lots of cardboard which isnt taken at the local recycling. I could compost a proportion of it (this is recommended to get the right balance in the compost) and pulp the rest of it for ease of storage and transport to nearest recycling centre that takes it, say, 3 times a year. I presume the same could work for plastics which again arent taken at the local recycling. It would be far easier to deal with a mound of finely cut plastic or cardboard in a barrel or box in a shed rather that bulky bags of the stuff.

Anyone ever heard of these such a "grinder" or know where they can be bought?

I've only ever seen shredders for garden waste, not cardboard, plastics etc. In the case of cardboard, I'd imagine that the volume would increase on being shredded.

{in general]be careful to be aware of the difference between a 'chipper' and a 'shredder'. The chipper is exactly what you want [tree size and above] whilst the shredder is for twigs and really a daniel o'donnell fathers day gift for my dad that will end up in a jumble sale. ie. its really not meant for anything above 3" width. The chipper makes mulch and a second hand one may cost 2/3 k upwards. Try A&L machinery in donabate - ask for bernard or roger mc gowan - thats where we bought ours.

warm regards
oirish

My brother bought one in Lidl the other week and it was half the price of ones advertised in argos. Phone your local store and see do they still have any, he said it was very good and done the job.

My brother bought one in Lidl the other week and it was half the price of ones advertised in argos. Phone your local store and see do they still have any, he said it was very good and done the job.

Was it an small paper shredder he got it Lidl or could it handle fruit & veg etc.? Dont Americans have such units attached to their sinks which shred food waste - I forget what they call them.

I wouldnt really need the "chipper" - the type of stuff I'd want to break down would be no stronger than twigs

Insinkerator...you can get them here too. I bought a shredder in Argos too and it does the job. However, Oirish is right, I think it's better to get a more powerful machine. My shredder is under black plastic most of the time, as it takes so long to feed the garden waste through...I start to lose the will to live!!