House title registration

breathnach1

Afew years back inherited a couple of houses from her cousin who she looked after for 15 years. Two of these houses were leased yaers ago on these riduclous 99 year leases, as result current leaseholders got to buy them out at 10 times yearly lease €500 in some cases (absolute robbery). Anyway I have got over that but one of the other houses was not leased but had a squatter who we have since evicted just in time. Anyway we have been to register the house in my mothers name but t appears the house is not registered in anyones name. The will just states everything is left to my mother and does not mention any properties. We have insurance details for the property dating back to late 1800 s. All otehr docs were lost in a fire years ago. I havent a clue what to do next. We have tried 4 diff solicitors but no joy they dont seem interested. Can anyone help or suggest a good solicitor.

Two of these houses were leased yaers ago on these riduclous 99 year leases
Why is this ridiculous? The original property owner presumably didn't think so if they agreed to this when purchasing the property.
as result current leaseholders got to buy them out at 10 times yearly lease €500 in some cases (absolute robbery).
How is this robbery?

Lease signed in early 1900 s and rent did not rise with inflation ie rent was €50 a year in 2000!!!!!!

Trying to rectify title can be time consuming. But it's just like doing a jigsaw puzzle. You have to find all the pieces and fit them together before presenting them for registration. I'm not sure why you are having difficulty finding a solicitor to do this for you though as most small practices would do this sort of thing all the time. I gather from your post that your mother inherited the house from her/your aunt. Depending on how long ago that was she might have to extract a grant to her estate first. I also presume that the title was unregistered. However you can still obtain copy memorials of title in the Registry of Deeds showing whatever conveyance put the title into your/her aunts name. This might suffice depending on what you intend to do with the property. If you intend to sell or remortgage you might have to do a first registration. It is involved and a little labour intensive but really most solicitors would do this. Again I find it very strange that you are having a problem finding a solicitor to do it.

A few questions for OP:

1. Did a solicitor handle the administration of the estate?

2. If so, why did he\she not undertake to do this job? What did he\she say about it?

3. Like Vanilla, I find it strange that four different solicitors showed no interest. Is it possible that there is some perceived difficulty in dealing with your mother, such as agreeing an acceptable fee? (no criticism intended - many many older clients baulk at the cost of almost everything these days) If so, how much do you think your mother would willingly pay a solicitor to resolve the lack of paper title? How much would be too much for her?

If there is no plan to sell or re-mortgage the property in her lifetime, your mother might well be making the right decision if she decides to simply leave the problem sit for the next generation to sort out: No point in spending money that she might need to achieve something she doesn't particularly need.

Back