house survey threw up lots of issues

mir2001

Hi
I had a survey carried out on a house and it threw up lots of issues that I hadnt anticipated. The surveyor gave me an estimate of what the upgrade work will cost but I need a builder to really be certain. Hoping someone can answer the following, Can you just call up any builder and get an appraisal and if you can does this cost anything? If anyone can recommend a good person for this I would be really grateful too.

Have you any reason to doubt the pricing the QS gave you? Presumably as a paid professional with no vested interest in who does the work or what they might charge his / her costing is based on accepted industry standards.

Personally I would call a number of builders, give them the schedule of works (but not the QS's pricing) and ask for solid pricing and time-scales for completion. If a builder wants to charge for the pricing work, cross him off the list and look for another builder. You have already paid once for the pricing.

What part of the country are you in? There is little point in giving details of a builder in Cork if the house in Donegal, as he will more than likely want to do an on-site inspection.

I'm in dublin, I have no reason to doubt the surveyor but he himself pointed out that you would need a builder to get a more precise figure and I dont want to proceed with the buy if the figures turn out to be too far out from the estimate as I just dont have the money to cover it.

Firstly, you are in a buyers market. Take the time to walk the building with 2-3 builders, with the surveying reports and get them to price up the work.

Bring the dearest quote to the estate agent and explain that the house has issues that need to be address and try to get as much dropped off the asking price of the house.