House sale after split??

R

Redbhoy

Hi folks,
Split with the grilfriend a few months back. She stayed in the 4 bed house with the kids. Im now renting a small room in a house. I want to sell the house with a view to getting a few bob for both of us to start on our different paths. In my opinion the house is too big for her and the boys and she would be better off moving to a smaller(cheaper house)!
Is there any legislation that prevents me from getting her to sell?? i.e. someone mentioned that i cant do it until the kids are 18 yrs old.
As it stands i contribute towards the mortgage but will not be able to get a place of my own for a good while due to the cost, paying her,mortgage and rent. I need a place of my own now or very soon.
Any advice?
Thanks

Family home legislation doesn't apply...

As you were not married, the family home legislation does not apply.

You can obtain a court order to have your share of the net gain (after mortage is paid) paid over to you.

However a better option would be to discuss the sale (or a buy out of your share) with your former partner.

If you are finding it difficult to come to an agreement, you can use the Family Mediation service, which is free. There is an office in Dublin city Centre and also in Tallaght (near the Sq. shopping centre).

Again, as you were not married, you are not obliged to pay spousal maintenance. You are however legally obliged to pay maintenance for each of your children.

You'll find some useful posts also on www.rollercoaster.ie the treoir website is also good (www.treoir.ie) as is www.solo.ie.

Re: Family home legislation doesn't apply...

Thanks Kildrought! Much obliged!

Back