House renovations

C

Cassidy

I will be moving into a house on Dublin's northside in a couple of weeks. I am looking forward to the move as I will be living beside my family and friends again . The only problem is that the house is in need of a lot moderisation. At the moment it reflects a 1970's style-flowery wallpaper & carpets, brown tiles & lino, avocado bathroom suite, need I say more. I need to replace windows, doors, kitchen, flooring etc etc etc, basically the whole house needs to be gutted.
Can anyone out there recommend where I can get some good value for bathrooms, windows, kitchen units etc etc and some decent trades people ?

It depends on what you are prepard to do yourself. If you are willing to have a go take a trip out to B&Q in Liffey Valley. They have almost everthing you need. Get the electricty and plumbing attended to first before tackling the decorating. You will probably need to add sockets if the house hasn't been touched since the 70's.

Nogser

Re: Renovation

Hi Cassidy,

Know what you are going through, we are in the middle of major building and renovation work at the moment. Here are a couple of ideas:

Agree with nogser re B&Q always a good place to start.

For bathrooms, check out Compass Bathrooms on Kimmage Road, small place but have excellent value, they stock vogue bathrooms www.voguebathrooms.com

Cash and Carry Kitchens are good for diy kitchens but will also have contacts for fitters.

We were very impressed by A.B.A.K. Ltd off the Greenhills Road but it all depends how much you want to spend.

Again to repeat nogser the electrics and plumbing are definitely worth doing first and your better going with someone that family or friends can recommend.

Unfortunately we are using a main builder who is contracting in everyone else, so I can't give you any of the individual tradesmen details.

Good luck with it all.

Anne

Unfortunately ,Nogser for me D.I.Y means destroy it yourself, I hate to admit it, but I am useless around the house . I would love to be able to put up presses or put down flooring but I can't ,so I will have to hire people to do the work in the house. The only thing that I can do at the moment is paint.

renovations

well cassidy ,

for its worth ,dependent on your budget of course,windows try senator for aluimium located nationwide

or if you want timber waterford joinery long mile road,will do the doors as well ,good quality

i am not a woodies b+q etc supporter as they arent great quality or pricewise.fine when you are stuck at the weekends

heiton buckley for sanitaryware and all plumbing equipment ,make sure you haggle and if you are paying them in cash tell them you want more off

tiles any place but the dublin tile centre ,try the tile shop just down from macdonalds in tallaght ask for jimmy

dont be bothered looking at the prices displayed tell him you want trade and start walking away he will call you back do worry

kellihers electric for any electrical gear ,lights etc.they can get all that once you give them notice

i will try to locate a few numbers of some my ex workers who might be interested and will post later.

i would however recommend that you rip all you want out of it yourself to save a few bob leave the electrics and plumbing

good luck

Thanks for all your advice folks, I really appreciate your imput and will definitely be taking on board your suggestions.
Any other ideas or tips are most welcome.

Sounds like you will need to replaster...if you do, don't hold back on sockets in every corner, TV points in bedrooms...double TV point even better, phone outlets....think of wiring for surround sound etc etc.

electrical

try n&d electrical wholesalers in rathfarnham for all your sockets,switches etc very good value!
cut all your chases in the walls for the wiring before you get someone to rewire.its much cheaper.
Get all the plumbing done before you plaster in case you want to put holes/chases in the walls for pipes to hide them.
take off all the old wallpaper,shirting,curting rails etc. and bond the walls for the plasterer.
b&q is cheapest for kitchens(nice ones)they have a sale just now.They have fitters too but it might take a while as there is a queue.
hope this helps

Qs for paddy

I am starting renovating too and I haven't a clue
What do you mean by

"bond the walls" ?
"Cut all your chases" ?

Thank goodness for your comment Peter, I thought I was totally stupid there for a minute.
Paddy gives some great advice and is obviously an experienced bloke but "bonding walls" and "cutting chases", Paddy I have n't a clue what these terms mean but you have awoken my curiosity and would appreciate a brief explantion.

Taking a guess I would say he means sinking the pipes for the wiring in the walls and this refers to "cutting chases" and "bonding walls" maybe means polybond to seal the walls?

Maybe effortless or heinbloed if they are around at some stage might be able confirm/clarify as after all this is only a woman's guess! ;)

renovations

yes suellen, cutting chases is for electrics,and bonding is for plastering but theres no point in bonding walls for a plasterer unless you just patching up.

walls

Yes polybond mixed with water should be painted over old plaster(with wallpaper removed first!) that is scored with a stanley knife.Then this makes it good and ready for your plasterer.
sorry i wasnt so clear.

Back