House purchase - How should I choose the area?

Techie

Hi All,

I am a Dublin resident currently living in city center in our own apartment, we have 2 kids aged 6 and 1 and we think we need a bigger house so started looking for houses around Dublin. I honestly don't know where to start with the house search as I am not familiar with any areas outside Dublin as we are very much used to the city living having work, school, creche within 1 km radius. Initially we were bit hesitant to move out of the city but then with 2 kids we think we definitely need a bigger place.

My main requirement is the house should be closer to public transport (preferably train but not mandatory though) and 30 mins max travel to the city as we both are working. 4+ beds, should be spacious 150 to 200 mt sq, a rear side garden etc. A creche and park near by for kids and good primary and secondary school options. I do drive but afraid of getting stuck in traffic during office hours so would prefer public transport to commute to office. Securing mortgage is not an issue for us and we could push up to 500K if the house ticks all the boxes. New build or old one doesn't matter. Looking at the new builds I feel the houses are not close to the public transport and at least 1 to 2 km away. Also I feel many of the new builds are not spacious enough, just my opinion.

Had mt first house viewing at Hollystown, Din't like the house and felt it's bit interior. Also bit noisy due to the planes take off often. Had my second house viewing at Ashbourne last week and I kind of liked the house and the surrounding environment, with children's playing on a big green field opposite to house, close to public transport (300 mts), good shopping streets, new school starting etc. Despite of the distance from city it looks to be easily reachable through Motorway. So having Ashbourne like area in mind, I would like to know other places which you might think will be suitable for me.

Your response would be of great help for me to get a good idea on areas around Dublin so that I can filter them in Daft and look for viewing without wasting time on a not so good place. Also if you think that there is any areas that I should avoid, please do let me know.

Many thanks,
Techie

What you're looking for is most likely on the DART line - search for coastal suburbs from Malahide to Dun Laoighaire and see what you can afford etc.

If planes bother you then Clongriffin, Malahide, Howth would need to be avoided, and of course, Swords, Kinsealy etc

My main requirement is the house should be <snip> 30 mins max travel to the city ...

Had my second house viewing at Ashbourne <snip> Despite of the distance from city it looks to be easily reachable through Motorway.

Ashbourne will be ~an hour to the city centre. Motorway is only relevant if you're going to drive, and that road can be a car park during rush hour.

What you're looking for is most likely on the DART line - search for coastal suburbs from Malahide to Dun Laoighaire and see what you can afford etc.

unlikely given the stated requirements id have thought, on the south side at least not as familiar with north side market

unlikely given the stated requirements id have thought, on the south side at least not as familiar with north side market
Well generally you have to compromise. In this case, the 150-200 sq metres is going to be outside the price range on the southside.

My main requirement is the house should be closer to public transport (preferably train but not mandatory though) and 30 mins max travel to the city as we both are working.
This is a clanger for you. Trains to Hueston or Connolly could mean another 30 minutes to where you work. The 500k for a four bed could be clanger two. Dublin 7 or 8 are walkable to City and probably around your affordability. Plenty of schools and some parks (Phoenix in D7).

Hi All,

I am a Dublin resident currently living in city center in our own apartment, we have 2 kids aged 6 and 1 and we think we need a bigger house so started looking for houses around Dublin. I honestly don't know where to start with the house search as I am not familiar with any areas outside Dublin as we are very much used to the city living having work, school, creche within 1 km radius. Initially we were bit hesitant to move out of the city but then with 2 kids we think we definitely need a bigger place.

My main requirement is the house should be closer to public transport (preferably train but not mandatory though) and 30 mins max travel to the city as we both are working. 4+ beds, should be spacious 150 to 200 mt sq, a rear side garden etc. A creche and park near by for kids and good primary and secondary school options. I do drive but afraid of getting stuck in traffic during office hours so would prefer public transport to commute to office. Securing mortgage is not an issue for us and we could push up to 500K if the house ticks all the boxes. New build or old one doesn't matter. Looking at the new builds I feel the houses are not close to the public transport and at least 1 to 2 km away. Also I feel many of the new builds are not spacious enough, just my opinion.

Had mt first house viewing at Hollystown, Din't like the house and felt it's bit interior. Also bit noisy due to the planes take off often. Had my second house viewing at Ashbourne last week and I kind of liked the house and the surrounding environment, with children's playing on a big green field opposite to house, close to public transport (300 mts), good shopping streets, new school starting etc. Despite of the distance from city it looks to be easily reachable through Motorway. So having Ashbourne like area in mind, I would like to know other places which you might think will be suitable for me.

Your response would be of great help for me to get a good idea on areas around Dublin so that I can filter them in Daft and look for viewing without wasting time on a not so good place. Also if you think that there is any areas that I should avoid, please do let me know.

Many thanks,
Techie

What you're looking for unfortunately is going to be challenging to find in Dublin. For reliable PT, LUAS and DART are by far the best choice, and of course, reflected in what you pay for property in areas they serve. This article should give you a general idea.

https://www.daft.ie/blog/q1-2019-daft-light-rail-house-price-map/

Luas-Dart_Q1-2019_Full-Map-Rail-House-Price.jpg

This article should give you a general idea.

Good link there mojoask. The OP will need to factor in that these prices are for 2 and 3 bedroom homes, 4+ bedroom homes will be considerably more expensive, and rare in some of the cheaper areas.

I live in Ashbourne and the commute is grand, although it depends on what part of the city you're going to. To the IFSC takes 40mins on the Connect in the morning and usually the same in the evening if you leave town pre-5pm. Post 5pm might be 45-60mins. Bus is very consistent timewise in the morning. Little less consistent in the evening but usually only 5-10mins delay. I drive an odd time and it takes longer unless you're willing to pay 10e for the tunnel of course! To drive into the city at off-peak times can take as little as 25-30mins (again, depending on if you're using the tunnel or not).

Back