House price inflation continues to slow....

Hi Clubman,

The link was not intended to be inflammatory, just an article of interest (from the ESRI) to readers of the group. Its sometimes useful when members point out interesting articles relevant to the subject.

Apologies,

liquid

Gabriel said:
Isn't this already covered here...?

No Gabriel not really. My link over there was to some pre-release news whereas Liquid's link is to the report itself which is more important and has just been released.

It's interesting that Yahoo UK saw this news as important enough to warrant its own article and some people here don't even want it to appear in a thread !

I genuinely feel sorry for young people piling up the debt to buy at current prices...

why oh why does this have to happen?

CoffeeBrew said:
No Gabriel not really. My link over there was to some pre-release news whereas Liquid's link is to the report itself which is more important and has just been released.

I see, so you were discussing the report in that thread, but think it's okay to start a new one when it comes out?

I really think this whole section is getting out of control.

We've got Global Property market threads...but people seem to feel the need to open up a new one on China!!

And now we get the same comments from the same people. Count up the number of threads which relate to property where the same posters post the exact same comments.

I've no problem if people want to discuss property, but we don't need the same topic discussed over and over in multiple threads.

Oh and meanwhile the Irish Time Property Propaganda section today...[broken link removed]

Edel Morgan believes that,
"One can only surmise what the average millionaire will be able to buy in Dublin in another nine years.

A pokey one-bed apartment in the outer suburbs? Or maybe a townhouse on a new development bought under the local authority's affordable housing scheme? Will the semi-d become the preserve of the multimillionaire while only the super rich will afford the luxury of living detached?"

yeah right Edel. How long will this madness go on?

liquid said:
Hi Clubman,

The link was not intended to be inflammatory, just an article of interest (from the ESRI) to readers of the group. Its sometimes useful when members point out interesting articles relevant to the subject.

Apologies,

liquid

No problem. I just wanted to point out the guideline but seeing that you are a newly registered contributor I did suspect that you might not be aware of it.

Who ultimately is responsible for the inflated house prices ?

- Estate agents are doing what good estate agent do up -taking up the market..
"last few remaining" ... "don't miss out"

- Banks with the sad adds ...... oh the frustration of living at home ...
now you have to buy a house just in case you get lucky on a Friday night ...!!

- Ha the good old gov ...

Introducing section 51 21 ..... and now reducing stamp duty for FTB ........

-ECB ?

- Does the central bank of each country need some control over its lending rate

What about the buyers who ultimately pay the allegedly inflated price thereby deeming that they believe that the property purchased is worth that price to them? Supply and demand are the main factors that determine the price in any market, especially a liquid/efficient one.

walk2dewater said:
Oh and meanwhile the Irish Time Property Propaganda section today...[broken link removed]

Edel Morgan believes that,
"One can only surmise what the average millionaire will be able to buy in Dublin in another nine years.

A pokey one-bed apartment in the outer suburbs? Or maybe a townhouse on a new development bought under the local authority's affordable housing scheme? Will the semi-d become the preserve of the multimillionaire while only the super rich will afford the luxury of living detached?"

yeah right Edel. How long will this madness go on?

That's a hoot alright ? Is this guy an part-time estate agent or something - he certainly spins like one

p.s how come my winkies, smilies etc always show up as links ?????

Perhaps this issue is important enough to start a new thread ;-)

Hi, re Edel Morgan's article. If you've read her weekly column you'll know it's often tongue in cheek and critical of the property market. I doubt she was applauding the fact that even small houses are going to cost a million houses - or already do in some parts - it's more likely she was pointing out how ridiculously high prices have risen.

Oh, he is a she ? oops. (That was 6 months ago, looks like you've been brushing off the dust on some of the older threads ;) )

I'm sure you've seen estate agents making similiar claims about future house prices so it was natural enough to think here we have another journalist falling in line with that and unwilling or unable to challenge the assumptions in the claims.

Can you post any links/quotes from Edel where she tells it "like it is" with the property market without the ambiguity ?

This is just one I found when I googled but there's lots of examples

Telling it like it is - and isn't

[broken link removed] [broken link removed] CityLiving: Do estate agents really have to stick to a code that hides the truth, wonders Edel Morgan.
There aren't many estate agents who will call a spade a spade - or an inhabitable dump an inhabitable dump. Deciphering estate-agent speak is all about cracking the code that glosses over the unpleasant, unpalatable truth.
Househunters who have waded through a ton of property brochures and ads will know the codeword "charming" roughly translated means "poky and dilapidated". For "keenly priced" read "owners desperate to get out" and for "awaits fresh thinking" substitute "only fit to demolish and rebuild".
Would great property empires collapse if estate agents were to dispense with "the code" and say it like it is? One estate agent who did, managed to maintain a business for decades until his death in 1971

does anyone ever get the feeling that the whole SSIA scheme was an elaborate ploy by Fianna Fail to increase the financial base of lending institutions within Ireland so that they could lend out ever increasing amounts to borrowers and thus keep the whole house equity / building party rolling in Ireland (each institution must maintain a minimum % of deposit reserves against it securitised loan book - think it is 5-10% of loan book in deposits)

The interesting bit is when the deposits are re-released and suddenly the institution loan books look vulnerable - 40% affordability - you must be kidding sir - now where's our legal team to go after those delinquent loans

Loan books aren't vulnerable when the institutions are selling a significant proportion of the debt to foreign investors. Spreading the risk around like that has made them much less worried about who they lend money to, hence affordability of 40% disposable income - something which they would have run a mile from only a few years ago

derryman said:
does anyone ever get the feeling that the whole SSIA scheme was an elaborate ploy by Fianna Fail to increase the financial base of lending institutions within Ireland so that they could lend out ever increasing amounts to borrowers and thus keep the whole house equity / building party rolling in Ireland (each institution must maintain a minimum % of deposit reserves against it securitised loan book - think it is 5-10% of loan book in deposits)
No.

Back