house overlooked at back: How to provide some cover?

selfbuild

My house is overlooked form the back ... while there is a wall separating both gardens and block any view at ground floor level, when my neighbours are upstairs they can see right into my garden (and vice vearsa)

I was looking to plant some trees against the back wall - hoping to provide some additional coverage - any advice on what type of trees I should get?

thanks

sb

Re: house overlooked

God virtually every house in the country and is not a stand alone detached house is overlooked?
The problem with planting trees that would be high enough to block the view from a nieghbours upstairs window is that the trees block a load of light and take up loads of room...

You could plant some Cyprus Leylandii. Extremely fast growing. But need a lot of regular pruning or they will get out of control.

These leylandii are very tall and wide and are the cause of much conflict between neighbours.

What is the aspect/orientation of your back garden?

Marion

Marion said:
These leylandii are very tall and wide and are the cause of much conflict between neighbours.

What is the aspect/orientation of your back garden?

Marion

thats my point....like aren't they now illegal to plant in the UK to make a hedge between houses. The problem with trying to block a view in an estate is that you block other peoples light which leads to issues

I was having this conversation with someone over last weekend as I have a similar problem. They suggested bamboo. (I have yet to look into it.) I think it becomes bushy at the top, it may not be as thick as leylandii but it might break up the view.

thanks for the replies

That Bamboo sounds interesting Marge - I must look into that as I dont want anything thats too thick & bushy (like lelandi) to eat into my garden space.

selfbuild said:
I was looking to plant some trees against the back wall - hoping to provide some additional coverage - any advice on what type of trees I should get?

thanks

sb

How do you intend to get rid of the annual pruning of any hedge - you may also have to get rid of anything the neighbour cuts from your hedge. Also as already mentioned hedging blocks a lot of light getting into your garden.

Bamboo is great - great screening, but light and airy at the same time - but some varieties can spread like wildfire, so be careful to choose clumpers rather than runners.

Check out for some good ideas and advice.

selfbuild said:
I must look into that as I dont want anything thats too thick & bushy (like lelandi) to eat into my garden space.
That's exactly the way I was thinking. I was hoping to still have bedding under the bamboo. I think the bamboo might just break up the view so as to add more privacy.
Dinky that's a great site - www.stambamboo.com. I can go to the garden centre armed with info. I always come out with something totally unsuitable but buy it because I like the look of it!

It's a great nursery, alright. They're lovely people, too, and not at all pushy.

No affiliation with Stams, btw, other than being a satisfied customer!