House Naming

pint6

Hey guys,

Just wanted to check with you one thing : We are thinking of naming our house which we are planning to purchase. What are the legal implications? When I say naming our house, I mean :

1, 'Dream House',
Shrewbury wood,
Shrewbury lane
Cabinteely,
dublin

Please advise,

Pint6

I think it should be:

'Dream House',
1 Shrewbury wood,
Shrewbury lane
Cabinteely,
dublin

Sounds right. Not sure of legal implication but surely if you didn't have the number preceeding the name of the house rather than the name of the road you would be creating problems for yourself causing confusion for An Post?

No offence, but I've always thought naming a house in an estate is a bit naff. Names are for houses without a number. Its a bit like those who spell out the numbers (i.e. "Twenty-Two")

I always assumed that such house names had no legal standing and, within reason (e.g. as long as it's not profane/offensive), you can call it what you like. The valid points about not confusing the address have already been made.

Thanks for your replies.

Per Lauren, it may cause confusion to An Post. Should I write to them and advise or its better to talk to my solicitor and arrange to get that updated in all the legal registers.

Regards,
Pint6

As far as I know An Post have some control over naming (or perhaps just numbering) of houses. Call into your local delivery office and ask them what the situation is.

If you are already living there..why don't you try to send some mail using that convention (nothing important)...early Valentines Card or something ;-)...and see if/how it reaches you...If it takes three weeks you will know you have confused the post office..If it never arrives...then I'd say a post office box is in order.

I think its nice to name a house if its something you always wanted to do...You paid for it, its yours...feck the begrudgers..and do what pleases u!!

You can name your house anything you want and its perfectly legal.
As long as your address is below the name it works.

All the post office need is the postal address so you're ok there.

This would be the correct format

John Smith,
Dream House,
1 Shrewbury wood,
Shrewbury lane
Cabinteely,
dublin

and if anyone gives you any grief tell them your full name is John Smith Dream House