House insurance price increase

jwd

I've just received my house insurance renewal from Allianz and see that, after adjusting for a 7.5% coverage increase, the price has increased by 11.1%. Is this in line with other companies in the market?

Not sure but you should obviously shop around every year to see who can offer the best deal for the level of cover that you need.

Insurance prices seem to have increased slightly in November and December. Some companies more than others.

As Clubman says shop around.

Ther is also the option of ringing them and asking for a better quote. (A friend of mine spent some yerars in Axa and he said that they were not allowed offer a cheaper quote unless the customer specificially asked them for it!)

On 14th Nov I got a renewal letter from 123.ie offering to renew our home insurance for €174 (down about €10 on last year) Four days later l got another letter from them offering it to me for €179. Then they rang me and offered it at €155. I said I would think about it.

I rang them yesterday and they said it would cost €209. When I explained that I had got three cheaper quotes from them than this, they said 'oh well we'll do it at €155 then'. They didn't seem to have any record of this, but took my word for it.

Not really sure whether I should be bothered about their inconsistency or pleased at the final price!

Another tip with 123.ie tell them waive the €15 brokerage fee which they include in the quote. Worked for me.

Careful though for those of you with rented properties, one of the clauses is the house must be occupied.

Can i just ask how much would you cover for contents cover? Im with AIB and contents cover is unlimited for them. That offer dosent apply anymore to new policy holders in case anyone was wondering. I am just looking for some quotes at the moment.

Back