House insurance - Premises sum insured

kcat

Hi,

I have looked for this on previous threads but cant find the exact match. I'm a bit embarrassed having to ask the following but think i was in a daze when we were buying our house.

We took out home insurance when we bought our house. House cost €380k and i notice the premises insured value is 178,500 which covers accident damage. The contents is 31,500 which does not include accidental damage.

Having a very short-term memory, I cant remember:

1. Where the premises insured value came from? Was that from our mortgage providers valuation?
2. Should we have contents insured for accidental damage? I assume we should to cover fire or flood?

thanks,

1. Where the premises insured value came from? Was that from our mortgage providers valuation?
Probably. You should review this each year at least. See this SCS guide for more on this:

[broken link removed]
2. Should we have contents insured for accidental damage?
Depends on whether you think you need this or not. What is necessary varies depending on your personal circumstances. For example I opt for a higher excess and no accidental damage to get a lower premium on the basis that I will self insure for small to medium accidents and only call on the insurance for larger ones (e.g. house burning down, burglary and extensive damage to contents etc.).
I assume we should to cover fire or flood?
Do most policies not cover these automatically unless specifically excluded for a specific property?

thanks,[/quote]

Accidental damage covers things like you dropping your tv and breaking it, spilling a tin of paint on the carpet etc. Basic cover will normally cover, fire, storm, flood and theft.