House insurance on sale agreed

Logo

Hi. Friend is selling house and the closing date is sometime this month. His house insurance is due for renewal next Friday. He doesn't want to needlessly re-insure the house for another year. I'd appreciate if anyone has experience or is it best to just re-insure on a month-by-month basis? Thanks

Maybe pay by instalments or other option is 14 day cooling off period but check if that is for online renewal payments only.

There would most likely be a handling charge for cancelling mid-term.

Well, if he wants to take the risk of the house being destroyed between the renewal date and the closing date, why not?

For the cost of one year renewal (a few hundred euro) what's the problem ( a few hundred thousand euro loss)

Once he renews and the house sale is completed, ge can cancel the insurance and get a refund, less an administration charge

Saving pennies to lose pounds, comes to mind

Closing dates shift all the time even if written in stone contractually. Considering the price of houses today the sum involved is likely to be miniscule. The risk of not having insurance and an accident happening is far far more costly.

Thanks all and I will pass on your replies. Installment payments sounds most practicable (if possible) and saving pennies to lose pounds also makes sense. I agree that a fixed closing date might not be too dependable also.

Small beans, in the overall scheme of things....

I'd pay the renewal, and try for a partial refund, after the sale completes