House insurance if house unoccupied

londonite

Myself and my Husband have just bought a house in Dublin. (Whether that is a good idea or a bad one is a different day's question?!) We cannot move into it for about 6 months as it needs a lot of work. I have contacted one insurance company - AA - looking for house insurance but they will not quote because it will be unoccupied. Does anyone have any experience of this? There will presumably be builders and other suppliers in and out of the the house (who will hopefully have their own employer liability insurance) over the next 6 months but I think it is important to insure it in case of water damage/fire etc. Any advice appreciated?

Usual solution in this case is a building under course of construction policy. This will insure the building against basic fire (although you can usually include storm damage at an additional cost) damage. Did the lender not look for this or are you lucky enough not to have a mortgage? Once you move in you can then change the policy to a fully comprehensive policy. Any good broker should be able to organise a quotation.
BTW I wouldn't depend on hope to make sure that the builder has their own liability insurance. If they don't, the buck could stop with you if someone is injured.

www.powerinsurances.ie

You could also try your current house insurers or if you have taken out a loan/mortgage, the bank/lender

Hi, I had the same issue...no insurance company would quote me...go to your mortgage brokers- they will arrange...you can also try bhp insurance..we got ours there- but through mortgage brokers...

Back