house insurance claim

lyonsa3

Can anyone help me with this? I had tenants renting a property from me who have now moved out. They left the place in a bit of a mess so i have had to change downstairs carpets, repaint, replace kitchen table and chairs.
I have had a letting agent show tenants around but the feedback is that the beds need to be replaced as does the rest of the carpets in the house (small but numerous cigarette burns throughout).
I did not make a claim on the house insurance just for the carpet and table/chairs but 6 weeks have passed and the house is still vacant. As it is in need of more attention I was wondering could i make a claim on the house insurance for the things i replaced already as well as further carpets etc to be changed?
This has all come out of our own pocket so far as the last months rent was never paid and therefore I kept the deposit for outstanding rent.

do you still have evidence that the items you replaced were damaged and needed replacement?

How do you mean? I still have the broken table and chairs but the old carpet that was replaced was dumped. I still have receipts for all moneys spent so far.

If you don't have the old carpet, how will the insurance company know that it needed to be changed, or that you just wanted to change it because you did not like the colour or it needed to be changed because of ware and tear?

Home insurance is not my area, but I cannot see an insurance company paying out if there is no evidence of an insured loss. Do you have any pic's of the burns in the carpet?

also do the insurance company know that that this is a rented property?

check your policy,but i cant see the insurance company paying for any of this

I forgot to state that this was the first letting of the property. All the furniture and carpets were newly fitted. Surely wear and tear doesn't come into it only after 10 months. This was the lenght of time the tenants were there.
I'll give the insurance company a call on monday and see what they say.

Last edited:
it is always a good idea to call your insurance company if there are any questions, but I would be very suprised if they paid out - you never know though.

please keep us updated.

oh & good luck

That's a severe blow for you on your first letting; it must be very dis-heartening.

Agree with previous posters; I can't see insurance company stumping up because your tenants abused your property, but read your policy's T&C's and contact company.

I believe any recourse you might have would only be with the tenants themselves.

Your house insurance policy is not an investment policy to be drawn upon when a situation like this arises, it is for specific perils that are named on the policy, such as fire, lightning, explosion, storm damage etc., gradual deteroritation is not covered I regret to say and your Insurer will turn the claim down and will most probably log the details, for reference in the event of any future claims. I know this is not what you want to hear, but with falling premiums, Insurers are very alert to this.

Can you sue the previous tenant's. Maybe throught the small claims court. Very bad luck on your first tenancy but on the up side you have got rid of them. Make sure you get a good deposit and thoroughly vet your next tenants.