House in neg eqt, living abroad.

K

kady7869

Hi,
Am currently living in the US, with GC sorted out. No intention of returning to work/live in Ireland.

My house in Ireland has about 90k left on the mortgage, but I would struggle to get 75k for it. I am stretched to cover the mortgage on my house in the US and Ireland. I currently have tenants in my Irish home, but there is a monthly shortfall of E300 in the mortgage, which I struggle to cover.

If the tenants were to move, and I stopped payments what would be the repercussions? Can the bank chase me in the US? Can I simply mail the keys back to the mortgage provider.

Thanks for the reply. I still have about 15 years left on the mortgage. Agree that circumstances can change, but as of now there is absolutely no chance of me returning to live in Ireland. I didn't buy the house in Ireland with the intention of heading off to the US, just worked out that way. Now, given the situation I'm in, my main concern is my home here in the US.

So far we have not had any situation where an Irish bank has chased a mortgage defaulter abroad. Does the bank know where you are?

They know I'm in the US, but don't have my address here.

Back