House freezing after Attic Conversion

masterK

After getting an attic conversion done I'm finding our house is really cold and doesn't seem to hold the heat. A fairly strong draft can be felt coming down the attic stairs.

I'm pretty sure the area of the attic that was converted was well insulated, however I'm not so sure the storage areas on either side were. There is a layer of fibreglass laid on the floor of the storage however there is nothing between the rafters, I presume this is what is causing the problems.

Should I just buy some insulation and fit to where I can get at between the rafters or are there any better ways to insulate?

was any insulation incorporated in the low stud wall ie usualy the 4 foot high wall, if so, what type??? was any insulation incorporated between the rafters on the sloped section, and if so what type?? and finally, was any insulation incorporated over the ceiling joists in the attic, and what type??

There was foam board, I think that's what it's called. It's basically blocks of silver covered boards between the rafters on the converted section of the attic (between the stud walls), I think the stud walls had the same. I'm not sure about the ceiling joists.

Id check to see whats above the ceiling joists.

Because you say theres a strong draft coming down, i think there may be issues regarding air tightness construction. Are all the walls of the attic skim plastered?? Perhaps check all the junctions of teh attic and see if theres wind coming in anywhere.
Finally, perhaps theres an issue with your heating system. You have increased the load on the system, is it able to take this increased loading??

I think the heating system is fine. The draft seems to come mainly from where the water tank is situated behind a stud wall. All the walls were plastered. I try to see can I track the draft to any one location.

Should the roof area behind the stud walls be insulated or is it sufficient to just put fibreglass on the floor area?

to meet current regs there should be 300mm of 'fibreglass' insulation there, but if you do that you cannot use the space for storage. 150mm of the silver foam insulation would suffice though....

Back