House extension/ sunroom

D

Darran

Just wondering thinking of getting an extension/sunroom do to the back of my house. I had an engineer round and had a look at the space we have to do this. He said that we could get on done with the dimensions would be 8ft x 12/13ft interior. I just dont know if the width of it would be worth doing the extenion or not. We have to leave room for guttering etc and the over hang. I live in a mid terreced house, and need the extra space we would be just using it for kids to play with a small sofa etc notting major.

Any help in this would be great.
Cheers Darran.

are you asking if its worth it darran??

depending on unknowns like location, accessibility, ground conditions etc.. you may be talking of a price of around €15,000 - €17,000 for it....

obviously if you can do any of the work yourself then the price will drop dramatically....

why would it only be 8 ft wide?? can you describe the situation?

The location would be to the back of the house, the grounds should be ok, but I think we have to move a soil pipe which runs to the back of the house and the manhole which is outside the back door.
The reason why it would be 8ft would be to allow for a cavity wall to be build, it can only go as far over to the kitchen window as we dont want to build the whole room across the house. It would be just a room that goes from the double doors that are there now out 12/13ft.

Just worried that it may look like a corridor more then a room. Iam not a builder myself but have friends in this line of work. Partner works for a timber frame company and cant get left over stuff from them. Also can get
windows through them. The money you said sounds about right he said it can be done between 10 -15k.

But again will the space that I am left with be enough for want I need, he seemed to think it would be fine, just need an other opinion.
Thanks Darran.

make sure its well insulated otherwise it may be a bit too cold to site in winter especially if there is alot of windows / and or skylight planned.

similarly id go for 2 big rads if layout permits, the cosier the better, we got one rads in ours and had to get the builder back later to put in an extra rad coz it was a bit nippy.

if you have a door opening out into the ext make sure that the floor is dropped enough so that if you put in a solid wooden floor or tiles ( waterproof chipboard + grout + tile) later the bottom of the door wont be rubbing or you'll maybe youll alsol want space for a mat or rug etc.

disbanddegaa