House deeds

M

MichelleTMG

Hi
I bought a house jointly with my partner about 9 months ago. We were in a position to buy the house outright without a mortgage ( transferred that to my partners house) . I contacted my solicitor a few weeks in relation to the Deeds whichI believed we should recieve. He fobbed me off indicating that it could be a while before I recieve them. Shouldn't he have recieved them back from the land registry at this stage... after 9 months ?

Not necessarily. It can take a year or more in cases where mapping is involved- for eg a new house on an estate or where there has been a subdivision of a larger amount of land. Also there are backlogs in certain areas.

Not necessarily. It can take a year or more in cases where mapping is involved- for eg a new house on an estate or where there has been a subdivision of a larger amount of land. Also there are backlogs in certain areas.
Does the solicitor pay the fee straight away or does it sit in the client account for a few months?

The solicitor pays the fee when the papers are lodged in the land registry. Sometimes there can be delays before the papers are lodged. For example I have a file currently where there is a complicated company transaction and it has been with the adjudication office of the revenue commissioners since last August. It has to be stamped before I can present it for registration. Other delays can also be encountered too.

Just to back up what vanilla has said I have had documents lodged in the Land Registry for upwards of 3 years awaiting completion on several occasions. Equally some documents get registered in weeks.Mostly mapping issues but other matters can delay registration also. If really worried(and no reason to be) ask if the dealing has neen lodged in the land registry yet.

"Does the solicitor pay the fee straight away or does it sit in the client account for a few months?"

Yes I keep all of my conveyancing files on the long finger so that I can keep hoards of money in my client account so that I can rake in all that lovely client account interest.

There is just no point in doing that - the only good file is a closed, completed file. And if I did not get the Land Registry funds in advance of closing do you think I would stand any chance of getting them from my clients months afterwards? Particularly if there is an issue to be resolved?

mf

Back