House Clearance

Sarsie

Hi All – seeking a bit of advice. My Parents are selling up and moving to the country from Dublin (they currently live near Terenure / Kimmage). The furniture that’s in the house is in great condition but no use to them where they are going – so ideally they’d like to sell it in the next week or so. We’ve put an ad in the Buy and Sell but no bites just yet. Anybody got any ideas of how to move the stuff? Are the auction houses any good for this kind of thing? It seems a shame to just give it away, although they are willing to negotiate on price. They genuinely are expensive and well taken cared for pieces of furniture, and then of course they have the general house hold items that need to find a new home too. We’re talking about: Leather suite 3-2-1 framed in oak wood colour oxblood 2yrs old (asking €750 for it); Dining suite in mid oak beautifully inlayed table seats six, chairs 4+2 carvers upholstered in beige velour. Tall display unit to match. (complete set €750) and then items such as washing machines, dryers, dishwashers. Pretty much the contents of a 4 bed house!!

Contact a second hand furniture store but be warned - don't expect too much - they are in business and so need to make a profit. Also, most people don't want second hand furniture now because new furniture is so reasonable. Unless you have *genuine* antiques I wouldn't go to an Auction House - it won't be worth your while.

August is a bit of a sticky time for selling most things,as a lot of people are away. Give the Buy and Sell another go, (I'd put something like, Relocating abroad - entire contents of 4 bed hse for sale - EVERYTHING MUST GO!!) jazz it up a bit. Why not advertise in local newsagents, church newsletter and shops, have an open day (like a big garage sale), this could generate a lot of interest (people are nosey!), hopefully they come for a look and end up buying something.

You should suggest to your parents that they spend a Thursday afternoon at Buckley's furniture auction in Glasthule. There they will see that it is possible to sell absolutely anything - ornaments, old records, bunk beds, lawn-mowers, etc - but they will also see that their asking prices are unrealistically optimistic.

If you have a digital camera take a few pics and try selling it on the adverts section of boards. www.adverts.ie have sold a few bits and pieces there but make sure you specify collect only so you have dont have people asking for delivery.

Hi,

My parents are in pretty much the same situation, my mam put all the stuff up on www.donedeal.ie and has nearly sold everything! It used to be free to advertise with them but i think its now €3 per ad but you can put up pictures aswell which i think will get the buyers more interested.
Hope this helps, good luck!

Thanks all so much for your replies. This site really has the most helpful posters!! Time is ticking for the big move date unfortunatly, so they will possibly check out these guys for a quick sale: [broken link removed] - it was on one of the links posted above.
Thanks again!

Hi Sarsie, how does this site work, do you ring them if you want to buy something featured on the site?

Hi Roxy. Yep, my understanding is that they feature your stuff on their site, and also on display in their warehouse in Tallaght. I've yet to see the warehouse so i've no idea what that's like. I'd imagine they only diplay a small portion of what's availalbe online. If you're selling - you agree a price with them, and they try sell it - if they do, they take a big slice of commission. After a month, they'll either drop the price 10% or you can go collect your property. It's costly, but it's certainally saves us the trouble of trying to sell, plus - it's free storage for a month if there are not takers!

Thanks Sarsie, I rang them to enquire about a washing machine on their site so I might head up on Saturday to have a look at it. €60 for a washing machine, nearly new? Should I chance it!?

Hi Roxy & Sarsie

the Le Depot site is very interesting - never heard of it before! Roxy, could you have bought the washing machine over the phone if you'd wanted to or is it all cash? Do you have to go to the warehouse to actually buy anything? There seems to be quite a few nice pieces on the site?

thanks

M

Hi Muffin,

The guy on the phone seemed a little distracted so I'm still a little confused! He told me to go to their warehouse to have a look at it first, he said there's loads more that's not even on the site. It's not far from me and is open on Saturday 9.30 - 5.30 so good enough for me! Seems there might be bargains to be had! It'd be great for anyone with a rented property wouldn't it as it's not exactly expensive.

Hi Roxy,

I just rang them there and he said they were open monday-saturday 10am-5pm?!! Anyway, they just take cash or cheques and they can deliver if you can't take stuff away for a flat fee of €30 in Dublin.

We need to kit out our second bedroom so I reckon I will defo be checking it out, especially if the stuff is good quality...

M

Hmm strange! As I said he seemed a little distracted on the phone to me so maybe he just mixed it up. I wouldn't be there for 9.30 on a Saturday anyway can barely make it to work for that time as it is! Maybe I'll see you at the weekend so! €30 sounds great if you were buying quite a few bits.

Hiya

yeah I reckon 9.30am on saturday would be a bit early for my liking too!

Mightn't make it this saturday but do post and let us know how you get on if you do go.

M