House broken into, insurance claim.

dobsdave

House broken into Friday night.
No damage done to the house, no one injured.
They took two items of jewelry and my laptop and camera.
Also took house/car keys and obviously the car,(has since been recovered,minus the wheels).
I'm insured with 123.ie for the house and was just checking the policy, noticed a section called 'all risks'.
Which itself is broken down into specified and unspecified.
Can someone please explain the all risks to me, and is there a danger the stolen items aren't covered as I didn't tell 123 about them (camera is most expensive individual item at 1500 euro).
Besides a claim form and Gardai report, will the insurance company look for any other info?

Thanks

Sorry to hear about the break in. The fact that they were stolen from the house means the all risks section isn't applicable. All risks means they are covered for almost everything whether in or out of the home (ie...lost on holiday, stolen while outside the home). usually applies to things like the camera or the lap top or the family jewels.
you need to check if there is a "single article limit" which limits the amount they will pay for one item. this may affect you in terms of the camera.

You should get estimates to replace the items and send it on with the claim form to speed things up.

Thanks for the explanation ailbhe,
The limit is 2000 or else 10% of the contents amount, so either way looks like i'm ok.
Regarding estimates, How would I supply these?, do I just give the model number(for camera and laptop), and what I paid for each item?

Thanks again,

For the camera and laptop I would give copies of receipts if recently purchased or head to a shop and get them to give a written estimate of how much the same model costs new. Same applies for the jewellery. If you have valuations then provide those. If not then a written estimate from a jewellers will suffice. It just helps to speed it up if you can send this in with the claim form as they will just come back looking for these items.

Sorry to hear about the break-in. In relation to your camera and laptop this happened to a friend of mine and the insurance company told her to go back to the shop she purchased the item in (i.e. her digital camera) and get them to write the model number and price of the item on thier headed paper or a receipt and this was suffient enough for them. Same with the jewellery.

The sooner you get this done the better as it will help the claim move abit faster.