House at wrong level - What to do?

tipperary

Hi all

I currently have a builder building a house for us. The roof trusses have just gone up, and I have realised that the house is about 250mm too low. This will impact us as we are dependant on looking over other houses to get the best benefit of our view.

I am wondering if this has been encountered before, and if so what sort of remedies have been agreed. Should I make the builder remove the trusses and the top of the walls and rebuild to the original levels, or is a (suitable) cost reduction generally considered to be more palatable?

250mm is ten inches.

Unless you're VERY close to the other houses this isn't going to make any practicable difference surely.

If you just remove the trusses, even if possible, and move them up you'll only get extra height in the roof, assuming your 1st (if 1.5 storey) or 2nd (assuming 2 storey) floors are in. If not the floor below will grow by 10 inches.

I'd say you're WAY too late to address this now - the roof trusses are lifted on by crane - did you not have somebody supervising the build and signing off? Floor levels are a condition of planning. If so I'd be having a stern word with them.

SSE

Back