House and land inheritence

Shamybaby

We were a family of four children. Four of us three boys and a girl. Only myself, eldest boy and sister are alive from the original family.

We have a half sister who is the result of my father marrying again and fathering a girl.

So, I have a full sister and a half sister, and myself. Just the three of us left alive.

My biological father and mother are both deceased.

We have a step-mother alive and in a care home.

My step-mother is held in a care home with dementia. My half-sister has power of attorney over her.

My uncles house and 12 acres of land was inherited by my bio-father and step-mum.

They seem to be the owners of the house and land in the west of Ireland.

My half -sister has taken over the house and land since way back and won't allow any access to any except herself and husband a solicitor.

They do not live in the house. They stay there from time to time only. They do not farm or till the land.

Where the house is situated, then is an outhouse known as the 'Chalet'.

It is inhabitable and I would like to stay there once a year for a holiday and have access to the chalet.

My half sister won't allow me near the place.

Both she and her husband will not communicate despite attempts to,do,so.

Could it be that I may have access once in a while.

Could I squat the chalet and claim it for myself but not the house in itself.

Could I challenge the will my step mum has made giving the property to my step sister.?

How can I just go there and open the chalet and just live there quietly and peacefully on my own?

Any ideas?

Please help.

1. Your step-mother is entitled to do what she wants with her property.

2. You can't "challenge" her will; it doesn't come into play until she dies - also see item 1.

3. From what you have posted, you have no right to access the property owned by your step-mother.

4. Based on your remarks re 'squatting', I'm not surprised your half-sister does not want you there.

Here's the best proposal I can give you; I assume your step-mother loved your Dad and made him happy. I hope she was good to you growing up; and even if life wasn't perfect, I'm sure they did their best.

In that spirit, can I suggest that you do your best by your step-mother for as long as you can.

Send her a card / letters / flowers; when restrictions are lifted go and visit her, hold her hand, talk to her and be kind. And forget about laying claim to 12 acres of land and an outhouse.

On the basis of what you state, the property is owned by your step-mother. You have no right to go and stay without permission in a property belonging to somebody else. It's as simple as that.

Don't "open the chalet" in order to move into it. You will be a trespasser and if you break in you could be prosecuted for criminal damage.

Back