House Alarms Issue

Irishchappie

Ive just purchased a new house and as usual the upstairs windows havent been wired for an alarm. I'm building a sunroom on the back of the house and as a result, the upstairs windows at the back will be accessible from the roof of it as a result.

I'm also looking to get an alarm installed asap as I dont want new appliances etc in the house and them getting knicked as soon as they have got in.

Now the only problem is that I've got 3 quotes off 3 different guys who install alarms, all fairly reasonable and very close, so I'm ahppy with that.

What I'm not happy about is the alarms they are offering.

Option 1:

2 movement sensors, 1 on the landing and 1 in the hallway downstairs, sensors on all the doors and windows downstairs and thats it.

Option 2:

As above and wireless sensors upstairs on all windows. But this is only part of a monitored alarm system with Eircom Phone watch and and costs an additional €21 per month monitor charge. Because I dont have a landline, this is run over a mobile unit which like a mobile phone, dials out using a sim card.

No one offers the option 2 without the monitoring service. I dont even want the mobile dialing unit.

Are they available? Can the wireless option be got without the eircom phonewatch option?

I.C

just a question - how secure are the wireless alarms ? how is the frequency secured ? does it modulate/change frequently etc - what is to stop would be thieves to get the radio codes for the alarm and disable the sensors remotely ?

Any company should be able to offer option 2 without monitoring, I do.
Shop around, aritech and europlex/visonic do some nice hybrid systems.

nai said:
just a question - how secure are the wireless alarms ? how is the frequency secured ? does it modulate/change frequently etc - what is to stop would be thieves to get the radio codes for the alarm and disable the sensors remotely ?

They use a range of techniques to ensure security, encryption, frequency hopping, etc.. All pretty standard stuff in any wireless comms situation now. The days where someone could use a scanner to eavesdrop on the signal are gone.

Leo said:
They use a range of techniques to ensure security, encryption, frequency hopping, etc.. All pretty standard stuff in any wireless comms situation now. The days where someone could use a scanner to eavesdrop on the signal are gone.

Cheers Leo - I was just wondering out loud that's all.

"Because I dont have a landline, this is run over a mobile unit which like a mobile phone, dials out using a sim card."

Can you provide more info on the above..

Where is this unit situated ?
Do you have to top up sim cards, presuming they're pay-as-you-go types ?
Is this feature expensive ?

Thanks..

Back