House Alarms Going Off

brian.mobile

Neighbours alarm is 'going off' again. Anyone suffering the same noise pollution?

Better nip off and check for a burgular. Doubt it though.

BM

There is probably no burglar. What there is is a faulty alarm system that the house owner couldn't be bothered fixing because they are never at home when it goes off. There's a few of these around my way too. Very annoying for those of us who work from home during the day. Give 'em hell.

There were hail stones at about 5pm today in my area and they set off a load of alarms............ very annoying!

brodiebabe said:
There were hail stones at about 5pm today in my area and they set off a load of alarms............ very annoying!

Again, this would only happen with a poorly maintained or crap alarm system. Tell your neighbours about your suffering!

brian.mobile said:
Neighbours alarm is 'going off' again. Anyone suffering the same noise pollution?
I don't know. Do I live on the same street as you?

On Gerry Ryan about a year ago a caller rang to complain about his neighbours house alarm going off.
He wanted to know what the best course pf action was.
After numerous callers he discovered that all alarms must be no louder than a stated noise level andalso if an alarm goes of it should only sound for a specific period of time. (2 minutes ??)..All these laws are in place to prevent noise pollution.

So if there are alarms persistantly sounding you should time them and call the gardai....The Gardai have the power to cut an alarm connection under certain circumstances...

ZEGAR said:
So if there are alarms persistantly sounding you should time them and call the gardai....The Gardai have the power to cut an alarm connection under certain circumstances...
That's not my understanding of the law. The Noise Pollution law is detailed on the Dept Environment website, and requires you to go through a District Court process to get action about a neighbour's alarm or similar. But I guess if Gerry Ryan said it, it must be true and I must be mistaken.

Rainyday...

I think in my post I said "The Gardai have the power to cut an alarm connection under certain circumstances..."....

And there is need for your smart remark at the end of your post..
We are all trying to contribute to the discussion..

I've frequently called the gardai when a neighbour's house alarm goes off (was particularly bad in one house I lived in about five years ago when next door neighbours were on holiday). Sometimes the gardai will have contact details for someone in case of emergencies but if they don't then in my experience I was always told there was nothing they could do. They always asked if I thought there was someone in the house (which was never the case, although I didn't put a lot of effort into wandering the gardens in my nightie trying to figure out if there was a violent burglar around!) and offered to have a squad car drive past to check things out. If there was no sign of break-in though they told me there was nothing they could do about getting the alarm switched off.

If the alarm was installed after September 2003 there are :
A European standard for external intruder alarms replaced all current national standards in September, 2003. The new standard incorporates stricter controls regarding minimum and maximum duration for the sounding of alarms. The new limits are 90 seconds minimum and 15 minutes maximum. However, the new controls only apply to alarms fitted from September, 2003
If these translate into law, I don't know. It also specifies external alarms which shut off at some stage anyway. It's the internal alarm that is not neighbour-friendly. Especially with the crappy/non-existent sound proofing in modern semi-d's.

It's not just the internal alarm that is unfriendly. A number of alarm companies fit the same bell box externally as internally. The result is that when you walk within 15 metres of the house you get hit with the really loud sound and all the lovely subsonics designed to make burglars feel nauseous and chase them out the house. That's the case in our estate anyway, and all those alarms would have been fitted post 2003.

extopia said:
Again, this would only happen with a poorly maintained or crap alarm system. Tell your neighbours about your suffering!

Would it?

Dont some sytems have motion sensors on windows? Wouldnt a sliotar type hail stone (not uncommon in Cork) set one of these off.

I applaude it sensitivity!

BM

Around Halloween and new year is an absolute nightmare with the number of alarms triggered by large fireworks going off overly close to houses and cars.

Back