House Alarm

colmanmc

Hi all,

In the middle of a self build and have a query re wiring for a house alarm.

Is it simply a matter of bringing a cable from each window/door to a central control point, ie. inside front door?

I want to do this before i start plastering so any info greatly appreciated.

Thanks

You will want to put your control panel/box away somewhere in the house. Some people have it in the downsatirs loo etc. You will need a keypad wired near the front door which in turn is wired back to the control panel/box etc. Some folks who also use the backdoor for access have a keypad there. And of course if you have an upsatirs, put a keypad up there - handy for turning on (at night) and off (in the morn) the alarm. What about a panic alarm button or two?

Run a wire from every window and door back to your control panel. Also run cables for pirs bell box, phone, smokes panic buttons keypads etc. Do not put the panel in a toilet instead place in a utility room or somewhere out of the way.
Also drop the wires at the openings of the windows

Thanks for that

Do I take the same cable from control panel (I'll put it under the stairs) to the keypad at the front door?

You will want to put your control panel/box away somewhere in the house. Some people have it in the downsatirs loo etc. You will need a keypad wired near the front door which in turn is wired back to the control panel/box etc. Some folks who also use the backdoor for access have a keypad there. And of course if you have an upsatirs, put a keypad up there - handy for turning on (at night) and off (in the morn) the alarm. What about a panic alarm button or two?

Hi,
It is against regulation to install the control panel in the downstairs loo or in the hotpress. J. Nealon is correct with the wiring, the idea of wiring for smoke detectors is also a good one as the idea of just an average of two mains operated detectors in a house i think is crazy. Could I also suggest that you use 8 core cable as this allows for future expansion etc..
best of luck

You will want to put your control panel/box away somewhere in the house. Some people have it in the downsatirs loo etc. Y
I was only encouraging the lad to put it away somewhere not have it at the front door! When I say some people I also include myself and lots of friends and colleagues as this was where alarm companies put these boxes when our houses were being built.

I assume against regulation is because electrics and bathroom dont mix, and ditto for a hot press (I think putting anything electrical in a hot press is frowned upon). Would these be the reasons Irish fire, it would be helpful to us all if you posted the reason why.

With regards the motion sensors, another thing to watch for is placement of the sensors:- 1) Dont haver them facing a directly at a window etc, as this can cause false alarms. 2) Also, dont have them facing directly at an open fire or similar level heat source, as this can cause false alarms also.

With regards placement of your main panel, perhaps irish fire might come up with some more specific info for this, but my alarm panel is located in a cupboard in my utility room. I have 2 keypads connected to it, one on the front door, one on the rear. Cabling between the keypads and the main panel I used cat 5, which was specified by the alarm manufacturer (my alarm has a built in answereing machine, which can be accessed via the keypads).

Do a bit of research on the alarm panel you intend to install (are you diy'ing it or getting someone to do it for you ?)

Wexfordman

Also try and keep the alarm wires away from the mains cables, a couple of feet if possible. All sorts of induced noise and voltages can play havoc on an alarm system, especilaly circuits with fluorescents.
Sheilded cable would be a good idea for the keypad as this will protect it from noise etc. Depending on what brand you choose the keypad may or may not have an earth plane on it. Keypads with earth planes are less prone to noise as it will have a path to ground for and noise etc to flow

Back