House Alarm-Fitting Costs for Pre Wired

Oilean Beag

Was wondering if anyone could advise what they have paid or would consider a reasonable cost for a house alarm (unmonitored), where the house is pre wired ?

Thanks in advance !

Euro 800 for a three bedroomed apartment that included 3 external doors and 7 windows. Did some research at the time as I thought it was a little pricey but it seemed average..

Got a quote for E1400 ex VAT for my house. It went as follows... 3 external doors with inertia and magnetic sensors,7 PIR sensors, 10 inertia sensors on windows, 2 keypads, 1 control panel including batteries, internal sounder, external sounder and decoy sounder

A good lot of extras there Con.
Why the need for 7 PiRs?
With that ammount of zones you are also getting a bigger control panel.
But for all you are getting it's a very good price.

Colm,

I just got a quote for all this, and that is what the installer recommended. I know that there might be a lot of gear but because of the fact that it was a new build I put wiring in place for it all while it was possible. I suppose I could decide to ditch the PIRs to reduce costs if I want but its better to be looking at it than to be looking for it!

There is a saying in this business "Its better to have it than be looking for it"

Got a job done recently on a 4 Bed house. 9 Windows and 3 doors with magnetic and inertia sensors. Price included 2 interior motion sensors, control panel, 2 internal sounders, 1 external sounder. The house was wired for the alarm when I bought it. All in all a very good deal I thought- if you want details of the supplier etc send a PM.

Ok guys, thanks for your replies.

I have obtained what I think is a very good quote based on the info you gave.

€550 all in, for front & back door sensor thingies, all downstairs motion sensors, one upstairs, all windows (6), key pad.

I think this is a good price, based in the Kildare area.

Bear in mind on these quotes --NSAI registered? PSA Licenced?
(or you may find yourself posting back here in a few weeks)

It

Should cost no more than 550 3 bed house. Prices above this only selling you an image that they are professional and have a super after sales service. Alarms are a simple from an electricians point of view. I would not worry about it once they demonstrate its in working order before they leave.

You are paying for the experience..
At €550 ( the price we would charge for an apartment BTW) thers is very small margin , which would suggest an inexperienced or apprentice installer. As with anything , you get what you pay for. If all these cheap systems are so perfect the companys charging dearer would be out of business long ago. At the end of the day you are talking about the security of your home & family. Would you scrimp to save a few hundred euros for that? Guys thats install for prices like that are in it for a quick buck. They usually arn'd around in a few years when the system needs attention. Thats whenyou decide to call the professionals.

As a sparks myself i do alarms for around 500-600 euro. Most alarm panels now come with a monitored feature built in,so if the crowd who wired your alarm brought a phone line to the panel your installer can programme in up to 4 phone numbers that the panel will ring in the event of the alarm going off . They can be programmed in order so it will call your mobile first,then a member of your family ,then maybe a neighbour or the cops ,whichever.
Most Alarm companies charge an absolute bomb,you would be better getting an electrician to do it as a nixer as its a simple one day job and once its set up right you shouldnt have any trouble with it.

Anyone thinking of going down that road should read [broken link removed] first.
It is now illegal for unlicenced companys to install alarms & I am surprised that its discussion is still allowed here.

Colm

its not illegal for you to buy the equipment and install it yourself. intruder alarms for houses are seriously easy stop pretending its rocket since.

Colm

its not illegal for you to buy the equipment and install it yourself.

To take that approach....If I own a pub/night club & I want to use an unlicenced door person , I could just stand outside myself.

I never stated it was rocket science. But clearly is is beyond the realm of most people when you consider 90% of alarm activations are false.

Anyway back on track. My original point was that you get what you pay for. If you pay some unlicenced guy half the price, in this business you will find you get poor or no service.
A quick quote from [broken link removed] just to clarify things.
It is an offence under the Act for a security company or a person working in the industry to provide, or present themselves to provide, a security service without a licence, once the 'critical date' for a sector has passsed (the critical date is the date from which licensing becomes mandatory for any given sector(s)). Similarly, it is an offence to employ an unlicensed security operator beyond critical dates.
The penalties for these offences are a €3,000 fine or imprisonment for up to 12 months or both if convicted on a summary offence, or imprisonment of up to 5 years and a fine if convicted on indictment.
Consumers should check with the PSA to see if the person or company they wish to employ is licensed by the PSA. They can do this by checking by the PSA lice nce register. The register is updated in line with each new licence issued.

Hi Antimonarch, don't think Colm is suggesting that installation is rocket science even, but he is correct in saying that if you pay someone who is not registered under this legislation to install an alarm system, whether they supply the system or you supply it yourself, then both parties are breaking the law.

So no electricians as nixers mister_mac!
Leo

With a prewired 4 bed roomed house, how much should it cost to buy the kit and fit it yourself??? Also, in terms of having an automatic dialer, people surely need to consider if they have telephone lines that are easy to cut externally. if they are, then a dialer is useless. In that case you need to use a SIM card from a ready to go type phone was my understanding....theres a Nokia box that does the autodialing I think isn't there??

There is a device called D2M that does this , but A ready to go sim card isn't great unless you can top it up online ( or some other method without removing the sim from the dialler. There are a number of ways to backup a conventional phone line. Plus if a system is configured correctly the alarm will activate once the phone line is cut.

Apologies if this is taking the thread slightly off-topic, but could anyone define 'pre-wired' in the context of an alarm system?

Specificially, does it have to include a wire going through an outside wall for the bellbox which you typically see mounted high up on the front of a house? Or do the alarm companies do that bit themselves?