Hounded in Ireland by UK the Tax Man !

ClubMan said:
MOB's comments about appealing sound prudent to me. You still seem to have family in the UK so returning to visit them could potentially be problematic if you don't sort this matter out.

No family at all over there now, the wife died in 2002 and other than her son who I can manage without, there's no one, except for a couple of friends that come to visit me for a couple of weeks, they like to visit me here, it's a little holiday for them.

Sid.

willows said:
Could the person you sold the land to be claiming he paid you more than he did to reduce his tax liability? This could be what highlighted your situation to the revenue.

I never thought of that, but I doubt they'd believe him, it all went through the Agents. I'm sure I know who it is trying to stitch me up, he's the only one angry at me selling up, he thought he'd cop for the lot when I snuffed it, and now that he's seen planning come through he's lost it, even phoned me up playing hell saying what a fool I was to sell it, but it was the only offer I had at the time, and I don't regret it, I'm happy here now, or I would be except for all this going on.

Sid.

I see. I just assumed that you were referring to your own little terrors above! :D
Farmer Sid said:
and somewhere away from all the little terrors back in England

I can't give any specific advice on whether the tax is owed or not. The only advice I can give is to beware the man in the pub talk! Don't ignore the correspondence from the Inland Revenue. Sort it out (with the help of a good tax advisor), put it behind you and enjoy your retirement. Some of the other posters have given good advice on appealing assessments etc.

A woman I know fobbed off calls from the (Irish) Revenue for months - both telephone calls and personal calls. She lived in fear of the phone ringing which was far worse than the final tax bill. As it turned out, when she eventually dealt with it, the liability wasn't as much as she thought and she was sorry she didn't sort it out sooner.

Keep writing to the revenue. Letters take ages to pass through the system. Appeal everything. String them out for as long as you can. You're 68 now - by the time it's resolved you will either be a 100 years old or beneath the clay in beautiful County Cork. I don't mean this in a frivolous way. Remember you are in Ireland now.

Back