Hotpoint fridge broken after 5 years

Art

I bought a new Hotpoint fridge 5 years ago for a rented property that I own - the warranty has now expired. The tenants informed me last night that the fridge is not cooling the contents adequately. I am just wondering if there is any point in getting someone out or should I just go out and buy another one? Also what type of tradesman, if any, should I get to have a look at it?

If warranty is only just up (think H/point have a 5 year parts warranty) ring H/point and chance your arm. Least they will do is probably reccomed someone who can have a look

Art,

There is a recommendation here for a repair guy. The same guy repaired our washing machine and we found him to be very good and helpful also.

If it's not cooling properly then one possibility is that the thermostat unit (controlled by the dial setting inside most fridges) is broken. You can buy these for about €30 (maybe more or less depending on where you buy - try online - e.g. eBay - as well as bricks and mortar outlets) and can easily be installed on a DIY basis by somebody who can, say, wire a plug. Don't forget to disconnect the appliance from the mains before attempting this though (unlike me during my first attempt! ).