hotels not soundproofed

LIVERLIPS

Does it annoy people out like it does me that when you stay in hotels in this country and even though you pay big money per night that you cannot sleep. Due to them putting rooms over function rooms when their is weddings and other functions going which means you get no sleep. You can complain to reception that night or the next morning but they do nothing though really. Should these rooms not be soundproofed considering the late music at a unreasonable time.

Considering we have to pay per person instead of per room like europe. I got a price for a hotel in the centre of florence for 3 nights for the 2 of us for 165euro and cheap flights 1cent each way so it is so much cheaper to go out of the country for a weekend and paying 80euro per person in this country

If I was kept awake in a hotel because of this I wouldn't dream of paying them. Not full price anyway.

If I was kept awake in a hotel because of this I wouldn't dream of paying them. Not full price anyway.
Ditto. Most hotels will knock something off the bill if you mention nicely that a function they hosted kept you awake. A couple of years ago we stayed in the Victoria Hotel in Eyre Square (Galway), and the receptionist told us when we booked in that the rooms they were putting us in were above the night club and asked did we mind. As we were planning on going out that night we didn't mind, but I thought that it was good practice by the hotel mgt to let you know in advance.

Yeah that's fair enough. However if nothing's said, they should assume that you want a decent night's sleep. I would look for a lot more than 'something knocked off the bill' if I wasn't able to sleep because of a disco or something. At least 25% off. Never been in that position I have to say.

Worse again are mid-term breaks etc. when kids are allowed play chasing in the hotel corridors at all hours. Not great if you have young kids and need to get them to sleep. Have found in the past that some hotels will deal with the problem/complaint immediately but others turn a blind eye.

I stayed in a hotel in Ennis during some International Irish Dancing Championship thing and I had to complain about all the kids pounding up and down the corridors until all hours. They wouldn't knock anything off the bill but I think they were annoyed with me anyway because I refused to take the stinky single smoking room when I'd requested a non smoking room so they had to give me a non smoking double room for the price of a single. Will never stay in that hotel again.

A good suggestion what my boyfriends mother does when booking is to ask is there a wedding etc on during her stay and if so ask for a room on a high floor and well away from the function room. We went to a wedding in galway this year and where above the function room so even though we went to bed the night before to get a rest for the wedding we could not due to the dj playing

if you find out theres a wedding, hang up, call again an hour later and ask for discount for wedding guests. Worked twice for me in the past ,

I always bring a set of ear plugs with me when I go to a hotel, particularly if it is going to be in a very busy/noisy city such as New York or London.

C

Bloody Riverdance has a lot to answer for...