Hotels in Sorrento - recommendations?

Sophia2457

Hi
We're hoping to go to Sorrento for a week in September. We were there for our honeymoon but couldn't possibly afford the same hotel - nearly died when I got a quote online!

Anyone recommend a quiet hotel (4 star or good 3 star) near the centre but preferably along the coastline? My head is spinning from googling and I'm totally confused!

The honeymoon hotel was the Bellevue Syrene which I highly recommend if you can afford it - it's gorgeous!!
Thanks
S

Hi,

I'd highly recommend the Bristol. It's a 4-star. It's a two minute walk from the centre and has the most spectacular views as it's set into the cliff overlooking the sea. Whilst it's a large hotel, it is quiet. I was there in July and it did not feel overrun with kids! While I prefer eating out on holiday, I was there on a half board option and the food was really good - I'm very fussy too! Here's the link...

http://www.bristolsorrento.com/index.php

Thanks, Sweetpea, I've sent an availability request so I'll let you know what they quote per night.

I think I remember the hotel - it doesnt show the location on the website but I remember walking out of town up a hill along the coast and seeing the name Bristol.

We are very fussy! Hate small cramped rooms, noise and bad service. We've never gone for half board because we're so unsociable we don't like sharing a table!

I'm sure we're nightmare guests (but very quiet unless crossed!!)

http://www.ambasciatorisorrento.com/ we stayed here in 2005 and it was a lovely hotel .Pay a little extra for the sea rooms with balcony ,we spent every evening with a bottle of vino on the (small) balcony looking at the fantastic panoramic view ,sun setting ,Capri in the distance . before heading to various local restaurants for some beautiful foods. Pool was warm with nice sun loungers,waiter service to the pool and wonderful garden and sitting area overhanging the cliffs. breakfast was great too in a dining room with panoramic glass view. short walk to town center.bedrooms were on the small side like many italian hotels.

That's a beautiful hotel, Gobstopper.

I priced it for a sea view double for September and it's €335 per room per night, b&b, that €2345 for 7 nights.

Unfortunately, we just couldn't do it with flights on top of that. Guess I'm looking for the moon and sea view rooms in Sorrento may just be an impossibility. A real pity, cos the view is so stunning - it's really what Sorrento is all about. It made our stay last time, but that was a special occasion!

Check out the Hotel Delfino, it is a little bit beyond the busy Sorrento which I think is good. We stayed there last year and thought it was fab. Unbeatable views directly across to Capri. Beautiful crisp clean hotel reception and rooms with a good restaurant. Offers free buses into Sorrento all through day and has their own boat to go to Capri.
When we arrived, having booked it on the web, we just felt real lucky to have got it so right. Highly recommended!

We stayed at the Bristol a few years ago. Lovely room overlooking Bay of Naples. Evening meals were top class. Fully recommend it. It's location a little up hill from the centre is the only problem. Also take bus trip on Almalfi coast!

Last edited:
Take a look at the Grand Hotel Aminta. We enjoyed our stay there. PM me for more info!

Yes, that's it - the Bristol is a short walk up the hill on the left hand side. Don't worry, even if you're half board, you never have to share a table with anyone! The thoughts of it! There is no way I would do that They have a lovely bar and terrace on the 7th floor with views over the bay, the harbour below and Vesuvius etc - fabulous!

i was in sorrento 3 yrs ago and we stayed in Esperidi Resort. it was basic enough but including flights the whole trip cos less that 600 for the wk. our room was basic but if u tell them its ur honeymoon may be different. lovely staff, one in particular used to leave us freshly picked fruit from the trees every morning. nice to sit out in and have few glasses of wine. little tip-spend a full day in capri, i rushed bk to go to pompeii and was devastated i didnt stay in capri.enjoy!!

Can second the Bristol - fabulous location, only a 10 min walk up the hill from Sorrento. Good food, lovely staff...the rooms are a bit small, but not a major issue IMHO. Definitely plan a day in Capri (boats from Sorrento), and a good day in Pompeii (local train from Sorrento). Naples worth a look, but be prepared - it's chaotic (and mind your wallet / valuables there!). Also rent a car, no matter how mad it seems as an idea, and drive the Amalfi coast - Ravellow, positano, Amalfi itself - wonderful>>>

Last edited:
No reply from the Bristol yet - I'll send another email and check out these other recommendations, thanks all.

We did the Capri trip last time, not impressed by the crowds at all - and it rained, in September! loved Pompeii, so huge tho - it was great until the bus tours arrived and then it was hard to get near anything, one guy actually pushed me out of the way to see one of the preserved bodies!

Hopefully will never go to Naples again - the litter and state of the streets around the train station, didn't feel safe at all even tho it was in broad daylight, saw people shooting up nearby.

Anyway, it's Sorrento and that beautiful view that's the main attraction, and would love to do the Amalfi drive - in a bus tho!

But if the prices come at arounf €2000 for 7 nights, we may have to wait and look elsewhere. Been to Portugal a lot, Malta a lot, not into Spain - anyone any suggestions? We like somewhere with a bit of history and character.
Thanks!