Hotels In New York....

eoinypony

Hi,

Wonder can anyone recommend hotels to stay in New York close to all the tourist things to do etc

Thanks

I recommend the Grand Hyatt beside Grand Central Station and the Chrysler Building on 42nd Street.

Well, it's in Midtown Manhattan so you're pretty central...assuming you want to be close to Broadway/5th Avenue/Times Square/Macy's etc it's a good bet. I've stayed there a good few times and would recommend it without hesitation. A few tips though...avoid eating or drinking in the hotel (in fact I'd say avoid drinking in pretty much any Manhattan hotel). The prices are usually pretty high (e.g. €30 for breakfast, €12 for a beer). Is it your first time visiting New York? Assuming you're arriving at JFK I'd recommend getting a cab from the airport to your hotel. There's a flat fee to or from the airport of $45 plus tolls (usually c. $4). In my view c. €30 is a small price to pay for a door to door service (avoid the messers outside the airport offering to transport you in civilian cars). If you want any other info, just ask (and apologies if you know this stuff).

I'm just back from NYC...this time I stayed in a suite in the Waldorf Astoria and believe me I was nearly crying myself to sleep wishing I was in the Grand Hyatt (my old reliable!). It cost a fortune and was pretty bad all things considered. November's a good time to visit New York...there's value to be had in the Thanksgiving sales, plus you'll get a bit of a Christmas vibe (ice rink at the Rockerfeller, snow in Central park etc). You should do a bit of a search on this site for further info (or post questions here or even PM me). You'll find good stuff on restaurants, shopping, sights, getting your vistors' discount in Macy's, getting cheap Broadway tickets etc. Some of the stuff comes down to personal preference too...for example I'd recommend the Rockerfeller building over the circus that's the Empire State Building (plus you can see the Empire State Building from it!). I'd recommend Woodbury Common over Jersey Gardens. And if you're planning to visit Liberty Island, pre-order "crown tickets"...they reopened the crown on July 4 this year (it was closed since 9/11). I (stupidly) just tried to rock up and go up to the top recently only to be told I needed a special ticket and they were all sold out!. A day trip to Washington on the train isn't a bad idea either if you're there for a while and fancy ticking that city of your must-see list. You've got something good to look forward to anyways...enjoy!

The hilton times square is very central and nice hotel, do u have a budget in mind that will help to narrow things down for you as there are a lot of hotels in new york.

We stayed in FitzPatricks Hotel Grand Central - very central. Very comfortable beds. Excellent breakfast, but you have to pay for it.

I know Luxique.com have some stunning New York Luxury Hotels. 'The Metro' looked cool, fairly cheap, great reviews on trip advisor.

We stayed in the Buckingham Hotel up near Carnagie Hall & Tiffanys (not that I bought anything just had a good look!). Wasn't that cheap, but nice spacious room & great location for having walks in Central Park.

I've stayed there a good few times and would recommend it without hesitation. A few tips though...avoid eating or drinking in the hotel (in fact I'd say avoid drinking in pretty much any Manhattan hotel). The prices are usually pretty high (e.g. €30 for breakfast, €12 for a beer).

Agree with above. There are plenty of diners and delis nearby where you can eat for much less than you pay in the Hyatt.

As regards booking and prices for the Hyatt, I recommend you start with looking at rates on Hyatt.com, then go to the other web sites (hotels.com, needahotel.com, etc, etc) and choose the one that suits you. We got a very good rate in a hotel in Chicago this year on www.1800hotels.ie, much better rate than the other web sites.

Stayed in Holiday Inn Express near Madison Square Gardens. Think it was on 29th St. Decent hotel with a good breakfast included and free tea and coffee all day. Booked on the Holiday Inn website

I recommend the Grand Hyatt beside Grand Central Station and the Chrysler Building on 42nd Street.

Couldn't agree more. I always stay here when I go to NYC. James in the Regency Club is a really nice guy, and will always talk about his Irish roots

askU, I actually paid €232 a night for a family room including breakfast. Other hotels I looked at would have had cheaper rooms but their policy would have dictated a two room requirement so based on that price and a prime location I thought I bagged a good deal.

The Affinia Manhattan - lovely staff, rooms and very central (in a nice area) we were across from Penn station and stayed in a 1 bed suite - large bathroom, bedroom with very large seperate living room with pull out bed and a kitchen...everything you'll need.

Stayed in both the milford plaza (twice) and Hotel St James. Both reasonably prices and perfect location less than 2 minutes walk from times square.

Just back from the states & stayed in The Wolcott on W31st - just off 5th Ave.
$162 per night including muffins & coffee / tea for brekkie.

Would stay there again.

Just back myself yesterday & stayed in the Radio city apartments,very clean 24hr reception 1 minute from times square & not very expensive at all.
would highly recommend.

Back