Hotels in Glasgow or surrounding areas

Delber

It s holiday time again

I am looking for any suggestions for a hotel in the Glasgow region for the start of August that is reasonably priced for 2 adults ( Got a wedding to go to)

Much appreciated

A supplementary question: can anyone recommend some decent bars in the Glasgow city centre area? Will be there this weekend (with a squad of lads) would like to have some idea of where to go in advance!

Can't help on the hotel question, I'm afraid, we just picked a Travel Inn at random!

What a coincidence. I'm going to a wedding in Glasgow soon as well! We were given a list of hotels and the ones picked out in the city centre were:

Premier Travel Inn
Tulip Inn
Carlton George

HTH!

You could check out the rates at the Novotel Glasgow. We stayed there on a weekend trip last year. It's a really nice hotel, perfect location and has a great restaurant as well. I think we paid 65 Sterling. Bewley's Hotel is about two minutes from the Novotel. It might be a little cheaper than the Novotel. Good Luck.

I just came back from a trip to Glasgow. I stayed in the Menzies Hotel. It is a 4* hotel about 7-8 minute walk from Central Station and not much further for the shops. It has a swimming pool, spa etc and is very reasonable. I booked it through gtahotels.com and got a rate of €105 per night per room inc. breakfast. It was listed as a "top secret 4* hotel" but from the description they gave I was able to work out what hotel it was.

I would stay there again. Glasgow is a very easy city to get around on foot and taxis for local trips are usually only £3-4. I cannot comment on the pubs etc as it was a purely shopping trip for us and Glasgow has loads of those.

i have been in a bar very near central station called waxy o connors and it was good lots of other bars near by so there is plenty of night life

I stayed in the Thistle Hotel in Glasgow this weekend. Very central and the hotel was excellent. Nice leisure facilities too.

Head ing off to Glasgow for a weekend next month - does anyone have any other recommendations from recent visits? Near Glasgow Uni?

Thanks!

City centre pubs - "The Goose on Union Street", just off Argyle Street near Central Station, big pub, very cheap pints.

20 yards along the road from there, The Horseshoe Bar, very old traditional pub.

For pub grub, All Bar One on St Vincent Street, just around the corner.

Just up the hill a bit, one of my favourites - The Drum & Monkey. Great pints, chesterfield couches, walls decorated with drums and....monkeys!

All these pubs within 2 mins walk of each other, all nice & friendly.

Re hotels - there are loads, well positioned in the city centre. Bewley's is as central as any, ask for a room on an upper floor for a good view over the city.
If you're pushing the boat out & looking for something a bit special, but still city centre, try One Devonshire Gardens.

If anyone needs advice on a specific area, I'll do my best to help.

Hi Jock,

Thanks for that - would you be able to recommend any accommodation near Glasgow Uni?

Thanks,

I stayed in the Heritage Hotel last November. It's within 10 mins of the university and not too far from the city centre either. I gave it a positive review on tripadvisor.

Link to a booking site [broken link removed]

Hi ckc

Whilst any of the city centre hotels are only 10 to fifteen minutes by bus or taxi to the Uni, there's a lot of smaller hotels & guest houses on Sauchiehall Street, which are strolling distance.
An example would be http://www.kelvingrove-hotel.co.uk/

or http://www.devoncovehotel.com/

If you have any problems getting booked (which I doubt you will) just let me know & I'll try to help.

Just be sure while you're there that you visit the Art Galleries & Museum!
It's only next door to the Uni, another fabulous building & very worthwhile .