Hotels flying the Union Jack.

dewdrop

When abroad it is nice to see a hotel flying the Irish Flag. Over the years i rarely saw a Union Jack flying outside an Irish hotel but the Stars and Stripes is usually there. While in the past i appreciate it might not be the thing to do now that a new era seems to be emerging should we not indicate to our British visitors that they are welcome and one way is to fly their flag. We sure do need their money to maintain jobs in the tourist business.

Not the union jack but for 6 nations weekends the pubs will have flags out and art in their windows like the Welsh Dragon
Looks good

And then across the city the hotel room rate gets jacked up

I've seem a few Union Jacks around Dublin. Usually in amongst a bunch of other ones. Tho recently I saw one in Temple Bar over a pub. No problem with the Union flag flying. As a flag it's not the worst lookin one!

It would show our maturity as a nation if hotels did fly a Union Jack.

As an aside if you go into any sports shop that sells jerseys you will find all manner of Premier League jerseys and International jerseys (including Scotland & Wales) but you would be hard pressed to find an English soccer jersey or rugby one. It would be a brave man that would walk down a main street in any city, town or village in Ireland wearing an English soccer jersey yet everyone wears the various Premiership jerseys.

Small point; It's the Union Flag. It's only a Union Jack when flown on a ship

The_Banker; said:
It would be a brave man that would walk down a main street in any city, town or village in Ireland wearing an English soccer jersey yet everyone wears the various Premiership jerseys.

There used to be this fella where I work, every friday without fail, he come in wearing his Glasgow Rangers jersery, not a bother on him,

TK Maxx always seem to sell Union Jack and England branded items in their Dublin stores. They're always in the bargain basement red sticker area. I wonder why they even bother sending them.

Why so exactly ?

I wear my England Jersey with pride and never have given even a seconds thought as to if if should not, I see lots of England Jersey wearing people around and can only assume they do not get a second glance as neither would an Irishman in England wearing his Irish Jersey.
I am often in Galway city centre and an england top is pretty common to be seen being sported, though I have yet to see one being sold in the shops.

I bought a T shirt in Newry, strangely enough it had the UJ on it, but without the colours, I never copped it until later! doh. Nobody ever said boo to me about it, and I couldn't give a fig if they did.