Hotels.com

If you use the AAM search to search for "hotels.com" (without the quotation marks) you will find several threads mentioning this site.

Ok, I went to book with hotels.com last night. A few worrying things to report.

1. No confirmation email sent to confirm booking.
2. I am bit dubious of their quoted room rates. I checked with a hotel in Las Vegas about a room for 24th November (thanksgiving). Hotel quoted $80 excluding tax, whereas hotels.com quoted $40. I am a bit wary that hotels.com could under cut the hotel by 50% on one of the most expensive nights of the year.
3. Currently on hold for 13.5 mins atm. (Edit: I gave up after 21 mins, I had to go to work!)

Always a better idea to book directly with the hotel where possible. If a particular hotel is overbooked when you arrive ( as is common practice ) you could find that those who have booked through 3rd parties will be the first to be booked out to another location which can be a hassle. Try calling the hotel and telling them that you are getting a lower rate through hotels.com and will they match it? More often than not they will in my experience. Many of them have it advertised on their websites - 'lowest internet rates guaranteed' etc. hotels.com etc often block book rooms way in advance to get these low rates. FYI - hotels in vegas drop their rates by the hour on the day to sell rooms if you are willing to take the chance of going out without a booking. Alternatively, make a booking checking the cancellation policy (some allow you to cancel up to 2pm on day of arrival) and then ring around a few places on the day to see if they can offer any late deals. Good Luck

Update, to date I have received only 2 confirmation emails from hotels.com out of the serveral 6 or 7 transactions. Is this normal?

I wonder what is going on as it is impossible to speak to anyone on the phone?

Just as a matter of interest did you compare your eventual hotel cost with the above mentioned sites? I recently used Octopus only to find that I could have got the same hotel cheaper with Another site that I found recently is [broken link removed] that appears to have lower prices.

I think that Hotel Detective and Hotel Club are one and the same, the prices and site layout are also the same. Interestingly enough I noticed recently that Ryanair Hotels whom I always dismissed in the past were actually cheaper than some of the others in the areas where Ryanair flies to. I suppose the best thing to do is check all of the discounters before booking to see who is offering the best.

I'm in the middle of a frustrating complaint with Hotel.com. I booked a double room for two nights on the phone with them. I was told in order to get the discounted rate, my credit card would be charged immediately. Fair enough. Except that they put on a euro 35 charge for an extra person. There was no extra person! Just myself and my husband.

I've been in lengthy e mail correspondance. They keep shifting the problem to the hotel even though the bookig was with them.

I've used them in the past and found them ok. But this kind of shoddy attitude really puts me off. Why not admit the fault, refund and have a satisfied customer who is happy to recommend them for the sake of euro 35?

Last edited:
Hotelclub is owned by Orbitz. Have used them in the past but only because I won a $200 voucher on some tourism website.

Hotels.com charge a hefty booking fee so I avoid them. Generally I book with the hotel direct or else take a gamble on hotwire or priceline.

just to update they are now offering me a 30 dollar vouicher against future booking with them, I really feel they should refund the cash.What do you guys think?

If you are going to use them again take the voucher, if not push for the cash.
In fairness I have spent alot of money with them over the years and never had a problem with them.

Back