Hotel Wolcott NY

IrishGunner

Hi

Going to NY in the New Year and staying in the Wolcott Hotel

Anyone ever stayed here ?

Read some reviews on Tripadvisor and seem that the higher up you are the better

i.e less bugs and better views

Cheers

I stayed there last year and liked it. Its a bit old-fashioned but I thought it was nice. I saw no bugs. I doubt if there is much of a view from most of the rooms in that it is situated on a rather narrow street (by NY standards). I have heard some people who stayed there & didn't like it.

I stayed there seven or eight years ago and it was an awful kip then - it may have changed since but I wouldn't be going back to find out.

Hotels in Manhattan are really expensive - If you want to save money on hotels in NY , It might be worth looking for somewhere just over the river in New Jersey - I've heard there's a few there that are quite good and very close to the PATH train to Manhattan which only takes minutes - and they're a lot cheaper than Manhattan - and have a better view of Manhattan. No personal experience on this but that's what I've heard !

A 1-star hotel that tripadvisor reviewers give an average of 3.5/5.0.

There's , so enough to make your mind up I reckon.

Cheers

Checked for hotels and this is the best one we could find. Been to Ny millions of time so no interest in the sights. However couple going with us its their first time & they want to stay Central and that aint cheap

Last time I stayed up near Harlem bit to far this time

Some good some not so good reviews on Tripadvisor but overall seems ok

Stayed there with the other half over Paddy's weekend just gone. We found it adequate. The room was fine (small as per most in Manhatten) with recent redecor and hotel TV with pay per view movies etc. The corridors were quite dilapidated in terms of decor. Good central location. The lifts were being replaced when we were there so complaints on Trip Advisor about slow lifts are not longer valid. Free coffee and muffin if you're up early enough (ie before they're gone). Never saw any bugs or anything like that.

It did the job for us and I'd use it again for the price.

Just back from NYC with my present wife and three kids (two teenagers). Stayed at the Embassy Suites (great rooms with views and excellent free breakfast), two blocks from Ground Zero, overlooking the Hudson, near the subways for West Side (Chamber Street) and East Side (City Hall-Brooklyn Bridge station). Also near Century 21 and J And R ([broken link removed] ) (cameras and iPOD's). Good restaurants nearby too. I thought it might be a bit away from the buzz of NYC, but, the location was brilliant. It is impossible to be near everything in NYC. Read the reviews on Tripadvisor. I would highly recommend it.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Re...tel_New_York_City-New_York_City_New_York.html

I stayed there in 2000 and it was ok. A bit shabby but clean and its fairly central for sightseeing...not much in the way of nightlife though.

I was in NY last christmas and we stayed in the Cosmopolitan hotel in Tribeca, two blocks from Ground Zero, subway station outside the door, a 5 minute subway trip to Times Square and all the other sites and a good selection of bars & restaurants nearby..much better location imo.

http://www.cosmohotel.com/

may change to the Red Roof inn

2 star and its the same place and right outside the Empire state

anyone stayed here, I know an Arsenal Fan who has stayed there 5 time previously and would have no qualms about it

have you considered looking at www.hotwire.com and (also available at .co.uk, but remember those prices are in GB£) ?
I've used both in the past and gotten good hotels, basically you are booking a room without knowing which hotel is will be until you're confirmed.
Hotwire give you a basic description and set rate, ie 3* midtown east, with x /y /z facilities and price is $125 per night. When you book you are given the hotel name, last time I went to NY we got Millenium UN plaza for $127 a night, compared with $219 listed price.
Priceline ask you to place a bid, so you go in and ask for the area, the hotel rating and the price you are prepared to pay, if a hotel is prepared to accept that price you get the room, (in Brussels we got a 4* for Eu48 compared with listed price of Eu129).
www.betterbidding.com give you a good idea of bidding strategies and a lot of hotels are identified. If you haven't used either of the sites above, I'd recommend really checking out this site, and what sort of prices people have paid for similar period.
The major downside of both of these sites is that once confirmed they are non-refundable....
I'm currently checking them out for a Jan'07 trip, but I've also got my eye on the Crown Plaza at the UN, its showing good rates (non refundable) from about $140 a night! Its a reasonable location, and have pretty good feedback on tripadvisor.

Are you implying that Arsenal fans may have lower standards than the rest of us?

Nah we are just content and we the season we have so far looks like we may have to stay like that.

Thought about Hotwire etc but the missus would rather know were we are staying first peace of mind

Red Roof looks ok and good reviews on Trip Advisor

Betterbidding.com does give you a reasonable idea of where you are staying if you used hotwire.com, but there is always the chance you get a new hotel!

You could try what i've done with people I've travelled with who were unsure of using Hotwire, let them do some research, ie. check out whats on offer, which hotels its likely to be, locations, tripadvisor feedback... once they get the idea that they aren't the only ones doing this, and that there are some decent bargains to be had, they can be converted (for 1 co-tourist that was seeing where someone got the Waldorf Astoria for peanuts).

www.easyclicktravel.com have a similar set up to hotwire (they have some 'mystery hotels' in their quotes), but are slightly more expensive, but hotel details are normally directly from the hotel website, so a quick google will tell you what the hotel is!
Enjoy your trip.

HI

I have visited New York for the last few years for xmas shopping, we stayed in the Herald Square Hotel which is around the corner from the Empire State Building very central and safe area. Most of the hotel rooms have just been done up. The hotel is basic enough as there is no bar or restaurant, these are all available just up the road. But its clean and the rooms are cleaned on a daily basis. We paid $100 per room per night.

I stayed in the red roof in May 05 and I would probably stay there again. It's clean, central and reasonably priced. You get "breakfast" in the basement each morning. If you like donuts

Hi

Ended up booking the

Same group as the red roof. Wolcott had some bad views on tripadvisor so we went with the holiday inn

All parties are happy with this just looking for bars & restaurants near by which I am sure there are many

Now to start saving and prepare mr cc for some serious shopping by my other half may god have mercy on me

Thanks for all the repsonses

Myself and my girlfriend are heading to NY next month and lol and behold we booked the Wolcott. Hope it aint as bad as u think:(

The comments above are fine though, we are paying about 1,000 dollars for 5 nights which by NY standards aint a lot so if it is clean and reasonable adequate then all is good, plan to spend little time in the room...there is 2 much to do in NYC

Back